Apple Cider Special

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been riding it since a couple days before Xmas. Kids got drift trikes...one of which went the wrong way around and clipped the front wheel of my parked bike, pulling it down & chipping the top tube paint with the truss mount...narrowly missed the shifter...some rash on the apes. :doh: The money side still looks good.
Shifter works but I’m waiting on cable clamps...currently zipped so the cable drifts and needs constant fiddling. “Chrome paint”...or as I call it “disaster in a can” should never be touched because it never sets. It can be removed completely with just goo gone...so yeah, the shift knob is white plastic like nothing ever happened but I still can’t get all those dang stickers off.
Ditching the tank because I wouldn’t be able to use the car rack.
The springer truss as a seat mount threw a bit of a wrench in the works. Works solid as a rock with single speed rims but the three speed rim has a really short cable side which makes both the mount and wheelie bar a really tough to fit. I tried deleting the washer but I’m getting some shift...may reconfigure stuff and try the tall bar again or see if I can anchor the seat bar from the fender perch.
I’m waiting on cable clamps and the headlight...still.

The light up wheelies are straight up hilarious at slow speeds. So much pomp and fanfare for like one mile an hour! I can’t wait to get that on camera.

D0989988-6FEB-4980-9007-386229AB5485.jpeg

Busted the bent wire loop connector on the adjuster for the indicator chain. Admittedly the cable chain is wandering as I hunt for the right clamps so I can ditch zip tie city. Looking for a more robust solution. Anyone know if the later SRAM indicator chain threads are the same for all Torpedo hubs?

It’s alive! I upgraded the indicator chain to a newer Sachs clamp style. The vintage cable connectors have a tendency to bend. New headlight arrived and is super bright but proportionally too small. The internals didn’t fit in the old one...infuriatingly close, would not latch. I stuck it below the old one. If I paint the other shell black it might work. It kinda fits with the general insanity of the bike. Recumbent fairing-bubble top? Alright maybe not that far...unless I go electric and used it instead of a car for local trips. Thinking about a bike in that way did result in going with the torpedo 3speed, front brake and forged forks...but some ideas may never see the light of day.

I am ultimately planning on using the pivot point holes in the black springer for tail light mounts. Again, thinking about “replacing” a car sparked an idea for a collapsible rack, demonstrated here with a spare banana seat. There are vintage chrome bar racks that mount to the seat clamp. I would attach it where I have the seat here. They match the curve in the wheelie bar then straighten out and flare wide at the end...struts with slides and wing nuts would allow the rack to pull up and be secured to the forward crossbar.
8FB4337D-DDCA-418A-99BA-A6BD0EB9440B.jpeg
6950ADB8-2E16-48A3-AF73-FC5AFF092347.jpeg

Mirrors next.

It’s alive! I upgraded the indicator chain to a newer Sachs clamp style. The vintage cable connectors have a tendency to bend. New headlight arrived and is super bright but proportionally too small. The internals didn’t fit in the old one...infuriatingly close, would not latch. I stuck it below the old one. If I paint the other shell black it might work. It kinda fits with the general insanity of the bike. Recumbent fairing-bubble top? Alright maybe not that far...unless I go electric and used it instead of a car for local trips. Thinking about a bike in that way did result in going with the torpedo 3speed, front brake and forged forks...but some ideas may never see the light of day.

I am ultimately planning on using the pivot point holes in the black springer for tail light mounts. Again, thinking about “replacing” a car sparked an idea for a collapsible rack, demonstrated here with a spare banana seat. There are vintage chrome bar racks that mount to the seat clamp. I would attach it where I have the seat here. They match the curve in the wheelie bar then straighten out and flare wide at the end...struts with slides and wing nuts would allow the rack to pull up and be secured to the forward crossbar.
View attachment 149135View attachment 149136
Mirrors next.
Sounds like an interesting idea. I'm not quite sure I understand it, but I look forward to seeing how you pull off this collapsable rack.

I’m not going with a rack, I think that pivot point might make a great spot for tail lights or reflectors. The rack idea was more of “what else can I use these pivot points for?” The general idea was a chrome bar vintage style rack that folds down, then could stay up with a couple rods attached to the first crossbar.

The need to really carry stuff is fueling the trike I’m planning :rockout:

24CFAEF3-7D34-4667-A3B3-DF433F528E89.jpeg

Dialed back the insane and went for a cleaner look. Too squirrelly with the tall bar. Chrome bullet tail lights and teardrop mirrors on the way.
Although I can‘t stand cables in general, I’m looking at adding stingray rear brakes. I can’t tell how they attach to the fender support. Is there a bracket I can’t see?

Last edited:
0B9D59A8-6CB5-4223-AA15-81D0E7741E86.jpeg

So close...just a couple details left. I used tail light black out paint on the headlight bucket and shift knob and it is some of the best gloss black finish as I’ve ever seen out of a can. I bent the headlight bracket forward for a hunched look. Once the mirrors are on I’ll know how much to shorten the handlebar ends. Original plan was to put the “Schwinn” decal on the fender but I’ve decided against it. The decal instructions do not recommend a clear coat, but if I don’t then I know my clumsy feet will ruin it in no time. Thoughts?
9829FE9D-6376-42FA-91B2-37478F84A4D3.jpeg

Last edited:
No new pics till the finished thread. Scouting picture spots.

Between the center section and the ends, I’ve cut out an entire foot of width from my handlebars. It has made the bike so much easier to control. Not only that but I have the added bonus of two free guitar slides!

I got the guts of the new 5LED headlight to fit in the better looking old one, hooray brute force! Taillight wires are secured as unobtrusively as possible. Two 9V Battery boxes with on/off switches for the tails on the way...they will be hidden in the seat. Just a couple fine details left to go and it’s a wrap!

This has been a great experience throughout all this craziness. It’s definitely the most fun bike I’ve ever had. The decision to build the flare-tail wheelie bars (for better or worse depending on personal taste) gave me a super fun, engineering & design obstacle to figure out. A couple things fell in line like just finding the seat, let alone how all the springer bars align and ultimately connect to it...a couple things didn’t...like rear pegs, which with the bars was a total blast. If the Torpedo three speed is as rock solid as they say then it’s worth it. The SRAM indicator chain is the way to go. My goal was custom Apple Krate with a chopper look...windscreen would ice that cake.

Definitely some room for improvement, but the bike is solid and dialed in. Powder coat is a better finish, but I wanted rattle can experience with translucent paints. Slicks are slick, but I already want a more efficient rear tire. I broke the Apple Krate decal...I managed to save it in the end but yeah, it is too far back. Speaking of back, I eventually need to get a back brake...coaster is fine...clean and uncluttered, but for wheelies a hand brake has much better control...or maybe it’s just me that needs more wheelie practice!

I lied, one last pic. Fiat lux! Dirt cheap 9v battery box stuffed inside handlebar foam, which is tucked into the seat. Total cost including taillights was about $20. With that final detail completed I’m officially calling this build done!
32C184EC-7DAE-4D2E-9289-EA01E4B828CB.jpeg

Latest posts

Back