are 3 speeds enough

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi
i'm an aging boomer (57) who went to the doctor a couple months ago and was told " change your diet,lose 25 pounds, get up off your ... and exercise 30 minutes a day."
the bike came to mind, I ride my stationary 7 days a week but want to do more real time on the real road.
being an old worn out piece of crap, I hate the way "normal" bikes feel, too high, to bent over too seat up my butt.
crank forward seems the obvious way to go, and this old tight ... ain't given no body 500 bucks to get a bike that fits a normal human and lets you put your feet on the ground without a seat stuck a foot up your butt.
the stuff i'm seein' here is some of the best stuff I have seen anywhere. I mean heck, if your gonna stretch your ride why not do it with some style.
so to the question. Plain and simple is 3 speeds enough for a full on roading bike or should I build with a full 10 or 17 speed system.
the 3 speed is obviously simpler but will it give me the range I need for up and down medium hills in the Midwest tooling down the old miss. here in Illinois?

wb

I think so. If the hills aren't too steep that is. Also re-gear it. Drop the front chain ring down to a 36 tooth. Your ride might have a 44 or a 46 up front. I have done several bikes this way. My G/F could barely ride hers, dropped in a 36 up front and she could ride it. Difference between night and day.

I agree, 3 will be enough with a 36 tooth chainwheel. Later, when you get tired of the lower gears, you can change back to a 44 or 46 to match your ability.

A laid back seat post is a must!
Those guys are spot on about the gearing, if it pedals hard drop it in the front or raise it in the rear.

WB,
Welcome from a 56 year old goat livin' on the other side of the Mississip' here in Iowa. (Davenport) I hope you can lose the pounds and get in shape !
8)

awsome :D
three speed makes the whole build a lot less complicated
who's got a 24" 3 speed wheel in the junk pile?
instead of a laid back post my thought is flat foot technolgy short of recumbent but streched enough to lean back and be comfy, i'm pretty stoked about goin' custom all the way.
i've worked for 30 years buildin' one off stuff for a small manufactoring operation (fixtures, hoists, you name it)
it's time to suit myself once and awhile. been gettin' the home shop in order, should be buildin' by the first of the year.
i stumbled in here following a link about tubing rollers, skimmed a thread that had picture after picture of one off bikes, didn't bookmark the link, if anyone has some suggested threads please post.
p.s.
yup, dav. is just across the river from my place.
and i'm down 24lbs so far with sub 180 in sight

thanks
wb

Back