Back half it.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasn’t quite following the vision at first. Honestly, I was kind of questioning the point. However, after those most recent photos I get it. Wow! Looks bad ...! (I didn’t know this site censored “bad words” Come on, what century is this?)
I get what you're trying to say and thanks. I have kinda been questioning myself the whole build but that's what makes it fun. I just run with a vision and sometimes destroy multiple bikes in the process but I learn what may or may not work and if I start over I'm starting from experience the next time. This is just one of the few ones that worked on the first try and I didn't loose interest, get sidetracked, decide to go another direction, or give up all together. It helps that I really took a liking to this frame. Have to admit though I had to force myself to chop the trike so I had no other option than to do it. Point of no return kind of thing once I did that it just came together easy. It's taking that leap of faith that's the hardest part.

Fork and headset came in today but unfortunately it's snowing like mad so it will probably be a few days before I get working on it again. But anyway here it is...
IMG_20230125_111032428.jpg

Only the best
IMG_20230125_111039385_HDR.jpg

I went over this morning and did some more work to the trike got my 24x4 rear tires installed with the new tubes and they have the perfect amount of fat. The tires balloon out from the rims so nicely. Also got my front end installed with the big 32-in front wheel and it is a little tall but it feels like a monster truck which is kind of what I'm going for. I threw the chain on and did just a quick ride around the parking lot and I love this thing.
IMG_20230128_110152982.jpg
IMG_20230128_110125513.jpg
IMG_20230128_105728275.jpg
IMG_20230128_105735457.jpg

The pictures don't do it justice this thing is huge and has a full foot of ground clearance under the crank housing! The chain does rub ever so slightly on the front crank housing but as soon as I find my chain tool I'll probably be moving the crank to the front housing anyway so that will solve itself. Riding position is great and I think moving the crank forward will make it even better. Now waiting on my new custom license plate to come in so I can reveal the new name for this back halfed speed demon. Also need to dig out my wagon and knock off the wheels and fit it on the back for a bed.

I got my plate in and it looks great. So now I can reveal the bike's new name...

Drum roll please 🥁🥁🥁

IMG_20230130_101602659_HDR.jpg

Decided to do Ohio 1944 as a nod to the bike's year and CWC originating in Cleveland Ohio.

Last edited:
Well it's officially been back halfed. Took my pipe cutter and cut off the crusty bits for better access going to have to get the grinder out and sacrifice the crank arm as a pedal is seized in it and broken off so I'll have to cut the arm. Going to cut the chain stays off flush with the bottom bracket and the seat stays flush with the seat tube and lay it into the seat tube of the other trike for extra strength. This will also give me 2 positions for the crank one at regular placement and one about 2 or 3 inches forward of original placement. I'm going to weld the two bottom brackets together then plate it to make it stronger than it ever needs to be to prevent problems down the road. Maybe I'm just over-thinking it. Anyway here's tonight's progress picture. Any comments or feedback is greatly appreciated.
View attachment 221969
Likes them ideas yer doin', especially increasing the fork rake & plating them crank tubes for strength. You asked, so... About 50 years since the 1st time seeing an adult trike, I scored three (yup, 3) within 2 months - a pair of Meridians & a no-name Chinese 7 spd, plus a recumbent bike. The adventure began. Soon after banana bikes hit the market, I discovered the advantages of pushing pedals forward with my back against the sissy bar. Commensurate with that, I prefer similar positioning to traditional upright bikes. I strongly suggest stretching that puppy a few extra inches behind the older bottom bracket. That wee bit of extra space makes better pedaling & comfort, plus room to drop the seat, lowering your center of gravity. Lowering both static & instant is quite beneficial. Mine aren't stretched, YET, so how much is a guess. Certainly less than a foot. Have you eyed the Atomic Zomby stuff?

When I look at your trike a few things occur to me.

It could be raked & lowered, by altering it at the splice, rather than touching the headstock.

The 4” rear tires worked ok? How wide are the rear rims?

I bought that exact same Schwinn seat for my wife’s bike years ago. It has been a good seat. Certainly the most comfortable seat of any bike I own.

YES, it does, Also... Biggest mods to my ReBike recumbent is a 32" rear wheel & streamliner body. The man who sold me the bike to cannibalize included spare front & rear wheels. I'm currently searching for a 48 spoke freewheel hub so it can has 24 spd. (Calling it 32 Skiddoo.)

So I have decided that this trike needs a fully adjustable triple tree front fork, ape hangers, and a big motorcycle style headlight. I am however torn on what front wheel option to go with...

Option one: simple and safe 26x2.125
View attachment 222358
Option 2: mild attitude 20x3
View attachment 222359
Option 3: bagger style big wheel 32 inches of massive front wheel tucked under this bad trike. This is what I really want to play with. View attachment 222360

When I look at your trike a few things occur to me.

It could be raked & lowered, by altering it at the splice, rather than touching the headstock.

The 4” rear tires worked ok? How wide are the rear rims?

I bought that exact same Schwinn seat for my wife’s bike years ago. It has been a good seat. Certainly the most comfortable seat of any bike I own.
The 4 inch wide rear tires worked great the rims are a little over an inch wide but hold the 4 inch tires just fine. They do balloon out a lot but no issues. The seat is great too. One of the most comfortable ones I have.

I just put a little Kenda fatty on a 14x1 wheel. It does the same big bulge, but not nearly as wide.

That little dude was one of the toughest tires I ever mounted on a bicycle. I guess the tiny diameter means you don’t get a lot of stretch to work with. I was heating it up with the heat gun until it was so warm I could barely touch it with my hands.

Years ago I took a little 10” trailer tire to a shop in Farmersville for mounting, because I could not get it on the wheel myself. These guys did big tractor tires and everything. They couldn’t get it on either until they boiled it in a big vat of water. The things you learn on the edge of civilization can be amazing.

I wasn’t quite following the vision at first. Honestly, I was kind of questioning the point. However, after those most recent photos I get it. Wow! Looks bad ...! (I didn’t know this site censored “bad words” Come on, what century is this?)
O, don't be put-off by it. Adults are neither impressed by, nor want to hear foul language.

Ordered a few things for the trike project the other day. First is this headlight setup with built in turn signals.
Screenshot_20230130-122804.png

Then ordered this taillight and license plate mount.
Screenshot_20230130-122826.png

And finally this turn signal controller that I will mount hidden behind the steer tube between the two top tubes.
Screenshot_20230130-122843.png

Well the headlight looks like a real bargain if it lasts.

I never used to put those turn signal switches on my old cars. I just put a two way switch on the dash*** and remembered to turn the blinkers off.

Is that a real chromed metal tail light? It’s got to be plastic for that price right?

***On the fake Jaguar it’s underneath the instrument panel right by the gearshift, but I’m going to wire the switch right into the gearshift knob for the turn signals. It’s one of those cars where your hand is always on the shifter around town.

I just put a little Kenda fatty on a 14x1 wheel. It does the same big bulge, but not nearly as wide.

That little dude was one of the toughest tires I ever mounted on a bicycle. I guess the tiny diameter means you don’t get a lot of stretch to work with. I was heating it up with the heat gun until it was so warm I could barely touch it with my hands.

Years ago I took a little 10” trailer tire to a shop in Farmersville for mounting, because I could not get it on the wheel myself. These guys did big tractor tires and everything. They couldn’t get it on either until they boiled it in a big vat of water. The things you learn on the edge of civilization can be amazing.
Tire didn't go on very difficult at all. Was a little fidgety airing the tube down enough to get the second side of the tire on without loosing the valve stem but once I got it on and a little air in it it was fine. I even did a one wheel burnout on the ice...lol

Well the headlight looks like a real bargain if it lasts.

I never used to put those turn signal switches on my old cars. I just put a two way switch on the dash and remembered to turn the blinkers off.

Is that a real chromed metal tail light? It’s got to be plastic for that price right?
Probably unfortunately but it will serve the purpose for what I'm doing. They have a few other ones but for more money and I don't want to completely blow the budget.

Is that Farmersville the same Farmersville near the Ind-Ill border?

Latest posts

Back