MBBO BAD INFLUENCE!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What iteration is this one?

View attachment 282604

Now that it’s dry I do like this version better. So I think I’ll do the red Metal Specks with 2 light coats of red Metalcast and 3 coats of clear. Autozone shows it all in stock. It’s an hour away so the rest of the day will be running errands. Hopefully I can paint tomorrow.

Now that it’s dry I do like this version better. So I think I’ll do the red Metal Specks with 2 light coats of red Metalcast and 3 coats of clear. Autozone shows it all in stock. It’s an hour away so the rest of the day will be running errands. Hopefully I can paint tomorrow.
Yep. I never make a decision until it’s fully cured and I get to look at it in a couple of different light sources.

I'm just spitballing here, but it looks like either the Metalcast went on too heavy, or the undercoats of silver and gold weren't really that 'bright' / reflective. I would go easy on the clear top coats as well. Even though they are 'clear', the layers will still affect the way the light hits the paint and ultimately the way the paint 'hits' your eye when you look at it. I just used one thin lacquer coat over my Metalcast, and it has held up well to cleaning and wear.

I'm just spitballing here, but it looks like either the Metalcast went on too heavy, or the undercoats of silver and gold weren't really that 'bright' / reflective. I would go easy on the clear top coats as well. Even though they are 'clear', the layers will still affect the way the light hits the paint and ultimately the way the paint 'hits' your eye when you look at it. I just used one thin lacquer coat over my Metalcast, and it has held up well to cleaning and wear.
That could be the case with the metallics under the Metalcast. But that's two thin coats I put on. I found the coverage to be, um, really bad on the metallics. And the pigment obscures the metallic. Maybe I should have done some clear before the Metalcast.

Now on the glitter test patch I put 3 coats of Metalcast and went fairly heavy on the 3rd coat. That's Rustoleum glitter paint over a black base, 3 coats of Rustoleum clear and 3 coats of Metalcast. It's my favorite look of the bunch with that heavy metalflake look. That's the paint job I'd like to do but it's going to take too long to do all the wet sanding to deal with the orange peel on this build with the time I have left available and the weather forecast. But I do want to do a bike with this paint combo, maybe next MBBO. That's the darker band of paint in the middle of this menagerie of test paints. The pic doesn't do it justice at all. Glittering in the sun it looks incredible.
282753-IMG-1923.jpeg

With the 3 coats of clear I did over the Metalcast and Metal Specks, I was just following the directions on the Duplicolor clear can: 2 mist coats and a wet coat. It looks good. Autozone was out of the Duplicolor clear and I had to get VHT gloss clear engine enamel so I need to test that this morning. The Metalcast doesn't necessarily need the clear so I like your idea of one coat of clear over it. Thanks for the tips!
this one.jpeg

Last edited:
The final tally is 3 coats of Metal Specks red, 2 coats of Metalcast red and one coat of VHT high gloss clear engine enamel. The Metal Specks doesn’t spray out too well, which is understandable due to the metal flake in it. The Metalcast is amazing, sprays great, looks fantastic. Hopefully the VHT will be a tough clear coat. I’m very pleased with the results and very happy to have the paint done. I’ll let it cure for a week and then see about the rest of the build.
IMG_1940.jpeg
IMG_1941.jpeg
IMG_1942.jpeg
IMG_1943.jpeg
IMG_1944.jpeg

@Pondo, looks great on my monitor and I'm sure it's even better in person with some natural light on it! Well done! Kudos!

You've got me jonesing to try a sparkly paint some time. Maybe next year I can jump in on the MBBO, cuz a muscle bike is the perfect platform for sparkly. :nod::bigsmile:

Hope your weather holds for a good drying week. Again.... :113: !

@Pondo, looks great on my monitor and I'm sure it's even better in person with some natural light on it! Well done! Kudos!

You've got me jonesing to try a sparkly paint some time. Maybe next year I can jump in on the MBBO, cuz a muscle bike is the perfect platform for sparkly. :nod::bigsmile:

Hope your weather holds for a good drying week. Again.... :113: !

Yeah, it looks great in the light! The only thing is the guard and fender dulled out after drying. I'm pretty sure it's because I used brake cleaner to spray out the insides like I saw someone do on youtube. It reacted with the primer. I redid the primer but didn't strip them to bare metal. Looks like I probably should have. I'm going to let the paint cure for a week and see if I can wet sand and polish. Worst case I'll have to re-clear the guard and fender or maybe repaint but the frame and forks look fantastic!

I just took another look at the chain guard and I think it's going to be ok. It's not tacky anymore and it looks great in the sun so I think I'll be able to just polish it out. Relief. :whew:

You should do another muscle bike, that would be fun! I think I want to try a heavier metalflake for next years build. Maybe orange or blue. 😎

Last edited:
The final tally is 3 coats of Metal Specks red, 2 coats of Metalcast red and one coat of VHT high gloss clear engine enamel. The Metal Specks doesn’t spray out too well, which is understandable due to the metal flake in it. The Metalcast is amazing, sprays great, looks fantastic. Hopefully the VHT will be a tough clear coat. I’m very pleased with the results and very happy to have the paint done. I’ll let it cure for a week and then see about the rest of the build.
View attachment 282691View attachment 282692View attachment 282693View attachment 282694View attachment 282695
Fantastic! It’s going to look awesome assembled and shining in the sun. 😎

Latest posts

Back