Banana Seat Grommets/Eyelets

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone found a successful solution to replacing the grommet/eyelet on a banana seat? I decided to re-furb my Troxel saddle and didn't think twice about drilling out the grommet. Now that I'm ready to reassemble I'm having difficulty locating something that will work for he grommet/eyelet. I did a search on RRB and found a thread with the same issue, but no resolution. I've checked hardware stores and craft stores but none of them have long enough shanks. I went to a leather store yesterday and the woman told me what I had looked more like an eyelet. I told her it had a washer on the backside and she said maybe it was an eyelet with a washer. The eyelets look right, but still aren't long enough to crimp, especially after adding a washer to the inside. Does anyone out there know of a good solution/alternative?

7f3686b00b3fb6b19369b1b5856b253c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great resource @renman. None seem to be long enough... The ID is roughly 1/4"+, and the longest shank on the chart at that diameter is around 3/8". That's essentially what I found yesterday. There's always a chance I'm doing something incorrectly, but the factory grommets seem to be longer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i found these things at the hardwarestore , i punched the end open and it works fine .. many sizes ... idk the name or original purpose of it tho
eb70910c-73b0-4907-9d4e-19892e8c511c_zps3aberi5a.jpg

Since apparently there's no easy replacement for the grommets, I tried reusing the originals while recovering a banana seat recently.
I did my best to remove the original grommets while trying not to damage them. All of the work was done on the back side of the grommets to avoid damaging the part that can be seen. First I pried up the edges enough to slip some needle nose vise grips under the lip and bent it up and over a little at a time. Eventually I was able to straighten it enough to push it through the hole.

After I finished covering the seat, I drilled the leather, carefully pushed the grommets back through the holes and flared the back side as much as possible. To flare them, I first tightened a 1/4-20 flat head machine screw from the back side and then followed with a round head machine screw to finish flattening it.

It took a lot of time, but it looks pretty good from the outside. The inside looks pretty bad but it does hold and it does get covered with a bolt anyway. Don't try this if you're in a hurry!:bigsmile:

seat recover 2.jpg

Since apparently there's no easy replacement for the grommets, I tried reusing the originals while recovering a banana seat recently.
I did my best to remove the original grommets while trying not to damage them. All of the work was done on the back side of the grommets to avoid damaging the part that can be seen. First I pried up the edges enough to slip some needle nose vise grips under the lip and bent it up and over a little at a time. Eventually I was able to straighten it enough to push it through the hole.

After I finished covering the seat, I drilled the leather, carefully pushed the grommets back through the holes and flared the back side as much as possible. To flare them, I first tightened a 1/4-20 flat head machine screw from the back side and then followed with a round head machine screw to finish flattening it.

It took a lot of time, but it looks pretty good from the outside. The inside looks pretty bad but it does hold and it does get covered with a bolt anyway. Don't try this if you're in a hurry!:bigsmile:

View attachment 38634
Last year I put grommets in the stingray seat I put on InViolet and on the lowrider seat that went on TorRed.

This grommet kit was at my local true value. I have seen them at ace also. Comes with anvil,.driver, base and a wood block. Worked well on both seats. Seem to recall it was about $10.

I saw stainless 1/4" grommets at one of the more industrial hardware stores in town. Havent picked any up yet, but ther weren't pricy.

Those look perfect. So that came with the tool? Might have to check some of those out.
Came with a hole cutter, the anvil, and punch and a block of wood.

I found it easier to put the punch in a vise and whack the grommet anvil, rather than the instructions they gave and strike the punch side...

I recently bought one of these grommet set and drivers. Its for a larger size, but the instructions were backwards in my kit, compared to what actually worked.

Do a few tests. I have better luck reversing the holder and driver vs the instructions. Try it both ways.

Latest posts

Back