Banana seats and adult back ends

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can adults comfortably use a banana seat?
Just wondering. I'm not morbidly obese or anything but I'm not dainty either. A banana (or a bread loaf) seat may look cool for my new project.

At her request, I set up my wife's Worksman with a banana seat. She hates it, and has stopped riding it. She thinks it looks cool, bt hates the position I guess I'll switch it back, but I weigh @250 and I've been riding it to the grocery store with no problems....

I am planning on adding a banana seat to a 26" Murray that I put a set of motor cycle apes on.That is if I can stop myself from buying a different bike every week. :oops:

papawrandy said:
I am planning on adding a banana seat to a 26" Murray that I put a set of motor cycle apes on.That is if I can stop myself from buying a different bike every week. :oops:
I've got the same problem...in the past year I've had 4 different bikes I called my "main ride"

Thxcuz said:
papawrandy said:
I've got the same problem...in the past year I've had 4 different bikes I called my "main ride"
I think most of us have a favorite ride not so much a main ride. I have about 10 different bikes I ride. I do have to say as for banana seats the stingray style seats are way more comfortable then what I call the football shape banana seats.

If you wanted to pony up the big $$$ score a Manta Ray. I would love to have one for my current project, $300+ is not in the budget.

It depends on a lot of factors, how much padding is on the seat, position, rider's personal preference, how wide the banana seat is, if it's on springs, exc. I have banana seats on two of my bikes and one I could ride all week and be comfortable but the other one is all show and maybe ride for an hour before it starts to hurt due to lack of padding and my butt being wider than the skinny seat. I am kinda toying with the idea of custom making my own banana seat that will be a cross between a regular seat and a banana seat, kinda combine the two seat pans and then custom upholstery.

There's a banged up huffy thunder road on cl. I asked the guy if he'd sell me the seat. I haven't heard back yet.

Thxcuz said:
There's a banged up huffy thunder road on cl. I asked the guy if he'd sell me the seat. I haven't heard back yet.
Buy it complete, steal the saddle, and part it out... If it's a canti frame, I'm calling "dibs" on it... :mrgreen:

Thxcuz said:
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/bik/4014677720.html
Looks like a good deal to me just in parts. AND it comes with a parts bike!

I recently set up a Schwinn 24" Typhoon for myself as a "Stingray" with a banana seat, shocked sissy bar, springer fork, 24 X 2.125 Sulky slick in rear, 24 X 1.75 brick in front, and 16" tall handlebars. I'm 5'7" and 150lbs. While a blast to ride, it didn't take too long to have a sore butt. The seat I was using was a 2007 Schwinn "S" banana. Now that I've gotten that out of my system, I'd like to switch my ride over to a fat tired rat rod if I can ever find a 24" Schwinn straight bar frame from the 50"s. The shocked sissy bar did make some improvement in the ride but I believe that 250 lbs might be pushing the springs to their limit.

thrdrl said:
I recently set up a Schwinn 24" Typhoon for myself as a "Stingray" with a banana seat, shocked sissy bar, springer fork, 24 X 2.125 Sulky slick in rear, 24 X 1.75 brick in front, and 16" tall handlebars. I'm 5'7" and 150lbs. While a blast to ride, it didn't take too long to have a sore butt. The seat I was using was a 2007 Schwinn "S" banana. Now that I've gotten that out of my system, I'd like to switch my ride over to a fat tired rat rod if I can ever find a 24" Schwinn straight bar frame from the 50"s. The shocked sissy bar did make some improvement in the ride but I believe that 250 lbs might be pushing the springs to their limit.

Do you have any pics of that bike?

Back