Bare metal bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bike that I want to strip and do a "bare metal" finish on as it isn't worth restoring. Anyone have tips on striping, polishing and coating. I will want to ride it so it will need to be coated. I don't have a sprayer so if clear coat is recommended it will be rattle can. Pictures are always helpful too ;)

Aircraft remover will take off most types of paint easily, dont get it on you or breath the fumes. Afterwards you can polish it to your hearts content, clean it and spray it with some outdoor clear spray paint. I've had good luck with this method.

I rattle canned the frame I used in build off 10 with rustoleum clear, it's held up well.
The aircraft stripper usually works well to strip paint, like SSG said be careful with it.

I did it the hard way, with a scraper and a brass brush (attached to a drill) to get it to bare metal, then used 0000 steel wool to polish it before a few layers of spray can clearcoat. It stayed shiny for about a month or so, then got a grayish look to it. Maybe a couple more layers of clear were needed.
I have heard about using boiled linseed oil but couldn't find any at the time.
old 180.jpg

Last edited:
I did it the hard way, with a scraper and a brass brush (attached to a drill) to get it to bare metal, then used 0000 steel wool to polish it before a few layers of spray can clearcoat. It stayed shiny for about a month or so, then got a grayish look to it. Maybe a couple more layers of clear were needed.
I have heard about using boiled linseed oil but couldn't find any at the time.
View attachment 32223
I've not tried oil on bare metal, just painted to stop further rust. Been meaning to use it on the for on rELEVENt setback.

I finished Little Neutrino with Minwax walnut. It took a few days to dry but gave the bare steel a warm weathered look.

Carl.

sent from my banana phone...

Latest posts

Back