Bareknuckle Brawler - Finished

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Bareknuckle Brawler - Update July 3

swami89 said:
You've GOT to keep the speedo, totally fits the bike!

Speedo is staying for sure :D .....but the springer is not :( . Even though I've got a heap of time invested in it, I'm not gonna get it finished to a point where I'll be 100% happy with it. I'm adding a headlight as well.......halfway through an LED conversion on an old head/spotlight.

Re: Bareknuckle Brawler - Light Workout July 8

I know most of you have seen LED headlight conversions before, so here's another :) .

Yard sale headlight. Not sure what it was from.....may have even been a reversing light :?:
DSCF1588-1.jpg

Discount store $4 magnetic light
DSCF1589-1.jpg

Guts pulled out
DSCF1590-1.jpg

15 minutes work with a hacksaw, file and hot glue gun
DSCF1594-1.jpg

New wiring and switch
DSCF1606-1.jpg

A bit more sanding and a clear coat and it'll be done
DSCF1607-1.jpg

Bright :!: . It was 4.5 volts, so I hope it lasts with 9 volts......should be OK
DSCF1608-1.jpg

Re: Bareknuckle Brawler - Light Workout July 8

Great yard sale find and nice work on the conversion. I love the look of that light.

Re: Bareknuckle Brawler - Light Workout 2 - July 11

I've been trying to work out a tail light for this bike for a while and couldn't really come up with anything I was happy with. I pulled the kustom Caddy light off last years bike "Krusty Kargo" and tried it..........still didn't look quite right mounted on the rear axle and made the left side of the bike look too "busy" with the light, license plate and coaster arm mount all in the same vicinity.

I modified the light a bit more by cutting the lens down shorter and bending more angle into the bezel, then tried it in a few different spots on the frame. It looks best where the license plate mount is, so it's gonna go there and I'll ditch the plate.

I also never got around to making it work for last year's build (ran out of time), so found a rear bike light that fit inside everything, then cut and filed the lens to fit.

I didn't want to use something that I'd used in a previous RRBBO, but I think this will suit this bike and I'm running out of time to try and find something else.

Repop 58 Caddy tail light
Taillight.jpg

Cut the lens
IMGA0738.jpg

Bending the bezel
IMGA0741-1.jpg

As it looked for RRBBO5
IMGA0743.jpg

Bent the bezel more and cut the lens shorter
DSCF1617-1.jpg

Bike light held in place with hot glue for trial fitting (now screwed in)
DSCF1615-1.jpg

Man it's bright!!
DSCF1619-1.jpg

Re: Bareknuckle Brawler - Light Workout 2 - July 11

FLAME ON! That looks like a jet afterburner!

Re: Bareknuckle Brawler - Inverted Springer Spy Shots - July 12

I picked up a pair of matching shocks from the junkyard on Saturday , then spent a bit of time with a tape measure and fabricated some rockers today.

Set it up to check geometry and work on the top shock mounts this afternoon and took a couple of pics.

DSCF1623-1.jpg

DSCF1622-1.jpg

DSCF1626-1.jpg

Re: Bareknuckle Brawler - Inverted Springer Spy Shots July 12

looks sweet good job :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Re: Bareknuckle Brawler - Shocking!! - July 13

Did a bit more on the top shock mounts today. I cut up an old triple tree fork plate......I know you can really crank on these and get them to bite into the fork tube, so I'm pretty sure they'll work fine. Just gotta drill the shock mount holes and file finish them.

DSCF1629-1.jpg

DSCF1630-1.jpg

Re: Bareknuckle Brawler - Mock up - Sorta Kinda

bean said:

Sorry, I am new here, still learning and getting up to speed. Can you please tell me what is the black bracket we see in this picture? It is clamped to the top of the fork, has 2 bolts point at the camera and holds the handle bar.

Thanks!

Badfish,
I rotated the pic, so hopefully it will make more sense.
I believe it's just a MTB threadless stem turned on it's side. Instead of it clamping to a fork, it clamps to the piece of cut off handlebar. Instead of clamping to a handlebar, he slid it over the fork leg, then attached the top triple tree mount.

Drawing1.jpg

Does that make sense? Cuz, I just typed and I'm a little confused now.. :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Dr. T

Dr. Tank, thanks so much.

It's definitely something I would like to put on a bike.

I'm with ya brother!
I dig 'clip-on' style bars. Talk about feeling 'connected' to the front end, you are literally pushing the fork legs forward and back.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Re: Bareknuckle Brawler - Mock up - Sorta Kinda

Badfish said:
bean said:

Sorry, I am new here, still learning and getting up to speed. Can you please tell me what is the black bracket we see in this picture? It is clamped to the top of the fork, has 2 bolts point at the camera and holds the handle bar.

Thanks!

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Badfish,
I rotated the pic, so hopefully it will make more sense.
I believe it's just a MTB threadless stem turned on it's side. Instead of it clamping to a fork, it clamps to the piece of cut off handlebar. Instead of clamping to a handlebar, he slid it over the fork leg, then attached the top triple tree mount.

Does that make sense? Cuz, I just typed and I'm a little confused now.. :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Dr. T

Thanks Dr.T. Yeah, they are threadless stems. The fork tube is 31.8mm....the same size as most new style MTB bars, and the other end has an adaptor to fit the 25.4mm bars.

Re: Bareknuckle Brawler - "Afterburner" video - July 14

Very cool flash effect on that light. I can almost here the sputtering of a jet trying to FLAME ON.

Back