Barn fresh Fair Lady

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I found this on CL today. Single owner who's family put it in a barn when when outgrew it. I picked it up with the thought it would be for a friend's daughter. But when I saw it, the paint is near flawless, AND it's a 3-speed! My daughter likes the color and the seat... so I may just clean/overhaul this for her, and not do the extensive 5-speed custom build I had planned.

f61u.jpg

m7se.jpg

6xva.jpg

The seat is smooth vinal and shows no fading that I can see. You can see the white spot where I wiped it.
0oy3.jpg

The Stingray emblem is in great shape, just the rivet heads have some rust. The sissy bar looks in rough shape though, so I'm worried about it and the handlebars.
arbp.JPG

3-speed! I almost smiled when I saw it... but I kept a poker face to make the deal.
j6tt.jpg

The chrome on this fender looks rough. I'm going to do my best to bring it back. The tires have some cracking where they sat deflated for so many years. Hopefully still rideable.
dxr9.jpg

oh, man. my 1st thought would be to put that stuff on a boys frame but that's so complete it would be a shame.
nice find.

It's perfect, especially when you've been wanting a muscle bike for your daughter. I think you filled that bill nicely.

Nice find CRASH!

That bike has TONS of potential. I think you'll be surprised how well the seat and the chrome clean up, especially the chrome. Schwinn chrome is pretty tough, I think with a little work it will have some pitting, but be nice and bright. That seat might be fine too, although the white may have stained a little.

Great bike all around, glad you found it. Another nice find by you, you're on a roll this year.

Yep, that bike will really shine with some elbow grease.

Fortunately the old Schwinns were made with awesome materials so even when they do get a little dirty and oxidized, they can be brought back to near mint condition with the right cleaning and polishing techniques.

Simple Green and Dawn dish washing liquid are your friend. :mrgreen:

Green Dragon said:
It's perfect, especially when you've been wanting a muscle bike for your daughter. I think you filled that bill nicely.
My dilemma is that I have darn near all the parts to do my daughter's 5-speed stick shift custom. So... I don't know.

Maybe I'll flip it? Dunno.

Rat Rod said:
Yep, that bike will really shine with some elbow grease.

Fortunately the old Schwinns were made with awesome materials so even when they do get a little dirty and oxidized, they can be brought back to near mint condition with the right cleaning and polishing techniques.

Simple Green and Dawn dish washing liquid are your friend. :mrgreen:
Didn't you write a "how to" guide? I'm going to have to find it. This is the first I've heard of Dawn. I'll have to get some. I have lots of Simple Green at your urging. I like it. How is the Dawn used?

Dawn Dish Soap is .... good...

Cuts the grease, and provides some lube for the 0000 steel wool I use to clean chrome. Just the steel wool and a little Dawn soap will do wonders on that bike.

My opinion it, keep the Fair Lady and off the other project. This, when cleaned and detailed, will have more value down the road, even after your daughter rides it. Nice original paint Schwinn bikes hold value well (as does any nice original paint bike really), and I think it will be a better bike to keep.

CRASH said:
My dilemma is that I have darn near all the parts to do my daughter's 5-speed stick shift custom. So... I don't know.

You use all the parts for another muscle bike project down the road. :D

Or you give her the three speed, then build up the other one simple and flip it, or give to a happy home. , then save the 5 speed parts for a cool custom build ?

see, you have lots of choices :)

That sounds like a good plan...

You'll be happy you kept the Fair Lady, that paint looks mint, and the parts should be easy finds.

For help with parts venture over the http://www.SchwinnBikeForum.com. Lot's of old Schwinn collectors there, guys that have been in the hobby for a while. Lot's of help there for Schwinn bikes, and lot's of guys with Schwinn parts.

Or if you need help email me...

I started in the hobby collecting Schwinn bikes, so I might be able to help.

Latest posts

Back