Bearings

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Me: "hey dad, can you pick me up some bearings, like maybe a few fistfuls?"
The best dad in the world replies "Sure thing son. What size do you need?"

Me: uhhhhh uhhhhhh 1/4, 1/8, 5/32 maybe?"

So my dads like late 60s, I grew up in his then- motorcycle, now snowmobile & outboard shop. He loves any excuse to go talk idly with anybody, about anything mechanical, and he was sure to tell me that his bearing guy is a clown. Like a real clown. Hes happy to go pick up whatever I want, but im not sure what I want.

I would love some input on what size loose bearings to order, and what the application is. I may also be able to order bearing cages by size, but im not sure what to call the standard size retainers we use for steerer tubes and bb? Are they sold by dia, or # of bearings, or...?

Thanks a ton.

~Lucas
You down with OPC?

Anyone know what size bearing is on the Schwinn front wheel from mid 50s? The kind of hub Schwinn manufactured themselves without jam nuts to adjust the bearings. They have deep cones and use the fork as the jam, they have to be adjusted when mounted on the bike. My dust cap fell foo and the bearings are loose and fell out. I can't seem to find any size that works well. Thanks for any input.

5/16" for OPC BB yo!

Ooooooh man that is embarrassing. I was told the standard old department store opc mtbs and whatnot were 1/4.
Soooo, thats why I asked you guys! Up here in nobody land, its three piece or you're wasting your $ and time. I rarely buy anything new, but used bearings tend to be the biggest crapshoot, even if I keep them in sets.

I really appricate everyone's input!

~Lucas
You down with OPC?

Anyone know what size bearing is on the Schwinn front wheel from mid 50s? The kind of hub Schwinn manufactured themselves without jam nuts to adjust the bearings. They have deep cones and use the fork as the jam, they have to be adjusted when mounted on the bike. My dust cap fell foo and the bearings are loose and fell out. I can't seem to find any size that works well. Thanks for any input.

7/32", New Departure WL also.

Latest posts

Back