beefy road - ( formerly mighty typhoon thread)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not much of a frame chopper myself. Just save the parts you don't use, and you could restore later...For sure keep it with the exist paint, then just dream about how cool you want it to look, and don't worry, be happy.
I am watching this cause I once had a twin straight bar all ratted with Schwinn-stamped USA and german parts on every race, bolt, and bearing.
Some loser-knucklehead stole it from my moms house one night and made off with it forever.....I still can picture it in my head.. :banghead:

Get rad with it. It's your party and no one on this forum is going to be peddlin this thing as much as you. Now if your building it to sell it well.....
im not building to sell it - im either going to build it - or - sell it .....LOL

guys - after a day of soul searching and a visit to another board members house to buy a specialized bike stand ( thanks bro !! ) i have come to a decision - not to build this frame - and not to sell it - gonna moth ball it for now and do it right this winter, its a one year frame , and the first year for the typhoon , i cannot in good concience do it the way i was gonna do it , the bike deserves more respect than that ....so, that said , how do i go about entering another frame - gonna do a german full lug road frame , ohio style !!!!

guys - after a day of soul searching and a visit to another board members house to buy a specialized bike stand ( thanks bro !! ) i have come to a decision - not to build this frame - and not to sell it - gonna moth ball it for now and do it right this winter, its a one year frame , and the first year for the typhoon , i cannot in good concience do it the way i was gonna do it , the bike deserves more respect than that ....so, that said , how do i go about entering another frame - gonna do a german full lug road frame , ohio style !!!!
Wise choice,sometimes some things are better off left the way they are and restored with a lot of TLC...A one off frame doesn't come around very often,and on top of that you have it's full history...It's a keeper and a pass on to yr kin...Goodluck with your second choice...

direction change due to a defect in that lug frame , was sitting around think " what to do ? " - then it hit me .......

check out this concept - advice is appreciated - its in mock up form right now , and a few parts might change - who knows

Last edited:
Can't duplicate that rusty patina...

Can't duplicate that rusty patina...
the typhoon deserves a full restoration - its carefully tucked away right now - i have neither the time or the money , at this time , to do that - so im going a different direction with another concept , but you will see it built this winter

i have SEVERAL derailer systems to choose from including the one that came with it , shimano megarange ..... i dont have much experience with gear systems , so i might need some help, lol

** anyone have any aero levers they want to donate to the cause ? so i can clean up the look .....:crazy:

Last edited:
Big Beefy Roadbike sounds cool!

I'm with Deorman, keep the rear cluster working if possible.

If your hoping to do a bit of road and a bit of off road those tires are ok, but if you think you will be doing more of one than the other I would suggest something more specifically focused, those ones you have are a compromise, and in my experience are not good at either... Just my opinion though! ;)

Luke.

im leaning towards re-installing the entire gear system - i have it all, that i stripped from the medium frame mongoose pro - nice stuff - but im not sure as to what kinda shifter i want to use - i like the look of the old skool stem shifters, but the shimano set that came off that huffy aint gonna work, only 10 speeds on that set - this set of gears has many many more ... and the ones that came off the mongoose are way to big and gaudy to put on the drop bars .....

- this bike will see a mixture of both - which is why i opted for these tires

Guess it depends on where you ride it and where you live. There is no denying that gears are good on a road type bike. I would at least keep the back gears.

THE CONCEPT IS , A KIND OF , HEAVY DUTY CYCLECROSS BIKE - ABLE TO DO ON AND OFF ROAD , IVE BEEN LOOKING AT CYCLECROSS BIKES ALL NITE , AND I DONT UNDERSTAND HOW THE GUYS ARE RUNNING DROP AERO BRAKES AND THE SMALLER , MTB STYLE, LEVERS UP TOP NEAR THE STEM , I DONT UNDERSTAND HOW THE 2 CAN SHARE A CABLE SET UP..... ENLIGHTEN ME , SOMEONE PLEASE

EXAMPLE

Kore_cyclocross_cockpit.jpg

I FIGURED THERE HAD TO BE SOME TRICK TO IT - SORRY MY CAPS LOCK BUTTON IS STICKING ON MY CHEAPO LAPTOP- OUR I.T. GUY LOOKING AT IT NOW .........I AM CONSIDERING RUNNING THE AREO BRAkES , THE INLINE HANDLES AND GRIP TYPE SHIFTERS

Last edited:
got frustrated trying to figure out my idea for those grip shifters - so took me a ride in the sun ....i got time ......LOL

Latest posts

Back