beefy road - ( formerly mighty typhoon thread)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know a guy with an old Giant roadbike that has gripshifters on the drop bars, up top, on the flats. Came from giant that way. I think they made larger ID gripshifters in the 90s for road use, but I bet a really old/skinny steel bar would accept the regular gripshifters with a l'il persuasion.

I'm also willing to bet that your Huffy's stem shifters wll do the whole range on the 'Goose, unless they're Positron.

Looking good so far.

components finally coming in - man the mail is running slow around here

- fuji 26 bars and sunlight aero laveres , still waiting on my cycle cross levers before i can build the bars .... looking at upgraded cable options, opinions ??

006_zps3d20554a.jpg

i've been looking at various shifter options - still cant seem to make up my mind what i want to use - made the appointment with the powdercoaters to get an estimate on getting the frame blasted and color coated , but before i do that i NEED to finish the mock up phase so i need to get off my rear end and make a shifter decision so i can complete the mock up , before i send it off to the powdercoaters...., i've been in contact with an ebay seller to do the professional waterslide type decals , then it will be back to the powdercoaters to be topcoated with acrylic clear to lock them in - going to custom name this one in the graphix ( have one picked out ) ......

on another note - need advice on handlebar wraps - im looking for something super spongy and thick , not the tinner tapes i see commonly used , want plenty of cushion there , i like a fatter grip ....advice ? what have you used ? had good experiences with ?

Last edited:
I like it!! I also love those Redds! Mmm tasty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the current tires are 26x1.95 - if i wanted to step down to a skinnier tire , more of the cyclocross look , what size could i safely go down to and keep these same rims?

1.50-1.75 is I think what most cyclocross bikes use, those appear in the video to be standard size MTB width rims so running all the way down to 26x1.25 is possible...
I personally love the 26x1.25 size but I think you will be doing well to get anything other than a full road tire in that size, the wider 1.5-1.75 sizes are probably where you should be looking.

Luke.

the current tires are 26x1.95 - if i wanted to step down to a skinnier tire , more of the cyclocross look , what size could i safely go down to and keep these same rims?

Here's what 26 x 1.50 look like on those size rims, they worked fine. You could probably go to 1.25.

2edwe51.jpg

10 days to go, hope to see you in the final show!

The suspense as to what it will look like finished is increasing!!

Latest posts

Back