TRADITIONAL Behrens Viscount

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@twojs.bike I just looked the your picture again. You're right, I remember from building wheels that the valve hole goes between the straights.
First time I built wheels, I somehow got them backwards, and they couldn't be trued. Even the guy at the shop was baffled.

I'm now wondering how this will turn out.

@twojs.bike I just looked the your picture again. You're right, I remember from building wheels that the valve hole goes between the straights.
First time I built wheels, I somehow got them backwards, and they couldn't be trued. Even the guy at the shop was baffled.

I'm now wondering how this will turn out.

At least it doesn't ride like a rodeo bike.

So. I'm out here, trying to make the front wheel stop making rubbing noise.
I get the wheel straight enough that I can see it's not rubbing anywhere.
20240721_172541.jpg

But, I still hear it rubbing. So, I put my ear next to it so I can zone in on where the noise is coming from. I discovered the spokes at the hub were rubbing against the screws that hold the fender and rack braces.
No problem. Just grind them down.
20240721_172550.jpg

I can clearly see the spoke aren't rubbing, but it's still making noise.🤬

So. I'm out here going crazy trying to make the front wheel stop making rubbing noises.🤪🤔🤪🤔🤪🤔🤪

Then finally, the most ignorant, not even possible thing pops in my head.🧠

Tire nipples.
20240721_171916.jpg

Yup. Tire nipples. You know. The little rubber nubs that stick off the tire from the molding process.
That Harvard education finally paying off.👨‍🎓

So. I'm out here trying to pull all of these little nubs off. And every so often I give the wheel a spin, and what happens?

That's right. The rubbing noise is getting quieter.
So. I keep pulling nubs until there are no more nubs.
I give the wheel a spin and....

🤘🖖

Last edited:
Frustrating, but I'm glad you found that all you had to do was shave your tires.

Latest posts

Back