Bendix 2 speed shifter hub

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
bought an Evans that had a 2 speed hub with shifter. Grease in it was all hard. I disassembled, and cleaned and regreased. It glides smooth, but still doesnt shift. Does anyone know how to adjust the hub? I release tension via the shift cable, and it doesnt engage all the way. Increase tension, and it engages great, but no 1-2 shift. Anyone got any experience? I heard 65rat has some.....help??

Sounds like your sun gear is not meshing with both the planetary gears or the fixed cog made onto the axel? When the cable is at rest (no tension), The sun gear should move outward from the center of the hub toward the sprocket side and eagage the fixed cog and that gives you low gear. When tension is placed on the cable, the sun gear should move toward the center of the hub and engage the planetary gears and this gives you high gear. Sorry, I don't have a hub that is apart to show you. But try this before you do anything else. Loosen all the lock nuts on the axel where you can thread the axel inside all the guts. On the brake arm end of the axel, there is a screwdriver slot. Get a flat screwdriver and if I remember right, turn the axel counterclockwise until it bottoms out then back it off about an eighth of a turn, If that don't work try turning clockwise? Once you get it where it will shift, adjust all the slop out of the bearings and tighten the lock nuts on the axel.

if you get the sun gear properly seated in the fixed cog, the shifter and index should mover the sun gear enough to engage both the fixed cog and the planetary. Hope that helps! And I may have all of this backwards, but thats how it works. Thanks!!!

I'm just curious if anyone has a Parts Schematic for this hub that could be posted. I would find it more educational if I could look to see what parts to look at as I read through the text.

bndxmsdia_zps4d9cb71f.jpg

You guys are the BEST! Tore it back apart, and saw that the MS-36 wasnt seating in the hub. Packed up with old grease and grit.(I hadnt even realized that it was meant to move). kerosene bath with a scrub brush, and its back together, and shifting like a new one! Thanks again for the input.

Back