Bent triangle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how to straighten this problem for good

Please help

Attachments

• IMG_1887.jpeg
    IMG_1887.jpeg
    1.7 MB
  • IMG_1888.jpeg
    IMG_1888.jpeg
    1.6 MB
  • IMG_1889.jpeg
    IMG_1889.jpeg
    1.7 MB
  • IMG_1884.jpeg
    IMG_1884.jpeg
    1.9 MB
  • IMG_1885.jpeg
    IMG_1885.jpeg
    1.8 MB
  • IMG_1886.jpeg
    IMG_1886.jpeg
    2 MB
  • IMG_1883.jpeg
    IMG_1883.jpeg
    1.9 MB
Last edited:
three steps.

First is the "string method" for checking the alignment and rear drop out width.

Second is getting the dropouts parallel to each other.

Third is the chain line.

Everything you need is at the Sheldon Brown page on frame alignment. Pictures included.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

These cheap gas pipe frames are the easiest to realign. Some get (oopsie) bent when someone drives the car in to the garage and squeezes the bike up against the wall.

Aluminum and carbon fiber frames are not straighten-able without destroying them for good. Cromo frames are so much stronger it's hard to cold set them.

I respace and align several frames every year. Some due to damage, mostly because I do a lot of single speed conversions on derailleur bikes. . Respacing a frame to fit a hub vs adding spacers to an axle to fit a particular frame. Just depends on the frame construction & hub. Most single speed hubs are 110 mm wide, most 10+ speed bikes are 121, 126, 130, 135mm wide. Adding too many spacers means more axle flex and possible breakage. Some frames are just too difficult to respace well.

Last edited:
Thank you for the feedback

The frame is a knockoff of a dyno
Kustom kruiser

Would this park tools frame alignment tool work I already own the park tools dropout tool

Attachments

• IMG_1892.png
    IMG_1892.png
    493.5 KB

Latest posts

Back