Best seat compromise between riding and looks?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys,

I'm trying to reposition the seat for my board tracker project. I'm playing with a 45 degree elbow and lenghts of tubing and wondered, what do you feel like its acceptable for riding a board tracker style bicycle? I don't feel like riding all cramped up with the seat next to the frame, even though that is the coolest looking seat position. I measured the pedal to seat distance on my road bike and tried to approximate it on my rat bike (a little shorter) by moving the seat back but only to a point because the farther back I go it also goes up and I don't want to put too much leverage on the seatpost with my weight on it (wouldn't be nice if it breaks and I fall butt first on the rear tire (no fender) and catch my nuts between the rolling tire and the frame :? should I go for a 90 degree bend with a gusset on a welded tube instead?

A quick release won't hold tight enough to drop the seat when the bike is parked and pull it up for riding. The original boardtrackers had engines so the rider didn't need to pedal once they got going but we do. So... ? what do you find acceptable? you got sample pics of your bike seats?

I have three board track styled bikes, and all three have slightly different ergos, but none are crazy low. seems to me the farther you go back with the lay back seatpost, the higher you can go with the seat and still look ok. all three have my knees coming up inside my arms slightly, but it's tolerable and stopping for beers really helps.

2957715155_3056fbee21_b.jpg

3271206135_02f6dea013_o.jpg

3500320341_e63a036005_b.jpg

Wow, some great looking bikes! Guess mine is most similar to your second bike. I'll experiment this weekend with a final position for it, thanks!

2WheelFlyer said:
Wow, some great looking bikes! Guess mine is most similar to your second bike. I'll experiment this weekend with a final position for it, thanks!

thanks. the second bike ergonomically is the best of the three. it's similar to a road bike.

Back