Better late than never.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've lurked on this site for years and even gathered bits for a build-off entry but never got it together to enter. I have enough pieces to get something entered in 8 days so Ima gonna go for it!
Takara.jpg

Last edited:
Post every process and nuance of your build as you go. This, as you know if you've been 'lurking', is really about the documentation of the process of building a bike,not just the finished product.

I've lurked on this site for years and even gathered bits for a build-off entry but never got it together to enter. I have enough pieces to get something entered in 8 days so Ima gonna go for it!
I have the frame from bike sound system build-off that I participated in 2011. It came with 16" wheels which were a requirement for that build-off but it has clearance 20 x 1.5. The 20" alloy wheels were a craigslist find along with a Schwinn Panther frame that I meant to use together but I think the Takara frame will be more interesting. Next steps are to clean and repack the hubs then figure out extended dropouts for the rear.
Sound system bike.jpg

Last edited:
You need to build at the speed of sound! Welcome to the fun.

Man, those mags are pretty, and the bars are cool too. Can't wait to see how things work out, good luck with the deadline!

Frame Swap!!!
The little 16" wheel Takara frame just isn't going to work, at least not without jumping to class 2. I thought the front wheel with a tire mounted would fit but it doesn't quite, maybe I should learn how to read a tape measure ;) I could try a 1-1/8" tire but there are other issues so...
don't fit1.jpg
don't fit2.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't want to use it because I don't like the primer and I'm not a very good painter I didn't want to deal with masking everything and giving a new coat of paint. However on further inspection I found that the primer is not well applied. There's red underneath here and there so with some careful sanding and a few squirts of red I hope to get a decent faux patina without it looking too 'faux'.
patina1.jpg
patina2.jpg

Last edited:
Back