big box store bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me big box store bikes are fine if you just want to cruise or do mild off roading. My number one repair for customers is bent rear rims on big box store mountain bikes. some are aggressively ridden most are just from everyday riding. Now if your talking 90s or older BBS bikes thats a whole other subject most if them I have little issues with other then being tuned up and new tubes.

Rat Rod said:
I'm not sure I even understand the purpose of this post. :?

I think someone just likes to stir the pot!!!!!!

I have a rat rod beach cruiser, I have an Italian bike, I have four (ranging from 1915 to 1930) undergoing correct restorations, and I have a Wally World bike that rarely gets ridden but I like it. All are overkill in their own way including the Wally World Mongoose mountain bike but I like them all and they'll all get ridden (eventually) so the only purpose I could see to this post is to stir the pot!!!!!!!!!!

What's the best bike, the one you'll ride, regardless of what it is......

I think it is all a matter of preference. I work in IT and I always tell people the best computer is the one that fits your budget and does what you need it to do. A gamer will need a more expensive computer than my mom who just wants to see pictures of the grand kids.

I own a Smart Car and a Convertible Mustang they both serve their purposes. just for the record I feel just as safe in both cars and drive just as fast but i will admit the Mustang gets up to speed faster.

Rat Rod said:
People who love high dollar bike store bicycles will never understand cheap, department store bikes.

People who love cheap department store bikes will never understand high end bike store bikes.

Many folks here enjoy both and that's why we tend to have a good time and don't spend much energy worrying about it. :wink:
Agreed!

Could be the "disposable" mentality younger people have grown up with. Ride a cheap piece of junk for a couple years, then toss it when it breaks!!

I'm storing a friend's NEXT bike (from wally world) in my shed & I wish it was gone lol. Total boat anchor. He can only average about 5 mph on that thing :roll: In my mind, I'd rather spend the $79.99 (or a bit more :wink: :wink: ) on a classic or a decent new/used name brand bike.

To each their own :lol:

Smart cars are far from it . . . I call them Dumb cars. They are horrible and anyone who wastes money on them ought to have their head examined. Plain and simple . what a joke.

petesponies said:
Smart cars are far from it . . . I call them Dumb cars. They are horrible and anyone who wastes money on them ought to have their head examined. Plain and simple . what a joke.

Maybe I should have my head examined, then, but I love my Smart. It's a fun car to zoom around in (not that you ZOOM, exactly, more putt).

Take a "Big box store bike" and pay a local bike shop to true the wheels, grease all the bearings, adjust the bearings, go over the bike and properly torque all the hardware, now add the cost of proper assembly to the purchase price and you'll now likely be in the same price range as the cheaper bikes at your local bike shop.

petesponies said:

That is almost word for word what a guy told me about bicycles...

Rg

deven_science said:
petesponies said:

Maybe I should have my head examined, then, but I love my Smart. It's a fun car to zoom around in (not that you ZOOM, exactly, more putt).

Glad you enjoy yours but if a moped pulled up next to me wanting to race I'd be embarrassed if I couldn't keep up. :mrgreen:

ilovelamp.jpg

I have 2 Walmart bikes .One is a Genesis 29er and it has been a very good bike. It has Shimano shifters that I adjusted before riding the bike, they work real well. It has CST rubber and I haven't had any problems with it. The only real cheap part on the bike is the front suspension fork and I will be changing it soon. My second Wally bike is a 32er. It's built well and I haven't had any problems with it. I did change out the rear sprocket from 16 to 24 tooth and now it's a great cruiser, not very fast though.

I think a lot of the complaints about Wally bikes etc. come from poor assembly. Then there's the Next bikes that are a little on the cheap side but even so, they are good enough for kids starting out if properly set up. Most people are casual riders and aren't about to blow $2,000 or more on a bike. The big Box bikes serve a purpose and if not for them a lot of people wouldn't begin riding and moving up to better bikes later on. Seeing bikes at Walmart is what got me back into biking and exploring the market and buying a Specialized Rockhopper. I like the Rockhopper but most of my biking is still done on the Walmart bikes.

SSG said:
Take a "Big box store bike" and pay a local bike shop to true the wheels, grease all the bearings, adjust the bearings, go over the bike and properly torque all the hardware, now add the cost of proper assembly to the purchase price and you'll now likely be in the same price range as the cheaper bikes at your local bike shop.

Why would you pay the bike shop to do this. The whole point of RRB is to do all of that fun tweaking in addition to customizing.

If your riding consists of putzing around within a mile or 2 of home, or riding around a campground, a cheap toy bike is fine. Somewhere around 5 or 10 miles, the difference becomes hard to ignore. A $300.00 and up shop bike is half the work at twice the speed, not to mention considerably reduced chance of breakdown. I ride and enjoy both kinds.

I've just checked out Walmart's bike collection online and compared to what is on offer this side of the pond you guys get much more bang for your buck.high end bikes that you'd want to hang on the wall as art or cheap imports that are uninspiring are mostly available here. I'd love to have the same big box options as Walmart offer because as long as your frame is sound the quality of ride is up to you.

as for Smart cars,check this crash test out,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxmiV2PFluM
I really like the Smart concept but,it appears if you crash one at speed you'd be lucky to survive as burger meat let alone a functioning human being!

Bryan

Back