Bike from the Dead's Mockup Mash

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As nice as those first mockups turned out, I still had a few more ideas I wanted to explore on my X-53 yesterday. I wanted to see how the bike would look with white accents, so I threw on a white seat and some Wal-Mart whitewalls. I figured I could make a hot rod-styled klunker, but those Wal-Mart tires just looked too small for this bike.
BftD_X53_71124_22.jpg

Even though I wanted to build a klunker, I decided to see how the bike would look in street trim. I threw on a different set of handlebars, replaced the black bottom bracket parts with chrome, added some old white pedals, and put a 26" x 1.75" whitewall up front and a 26" x 2.125" Jerald slick whitewall out back. Suddenly, my previous mockups didn't look as good as they did before.
BftD_X53_71124_23.jpg
BftD_X53_71124_24.jpg
BftD_X53_71124_25.jpg

Just to take it a step further, I threw on some ape hangers just to see how they'd look. It turns out, they look perfect on this bike! I was all geared up to make this X-53 into an off-road bike, but this has "old school hot rod" written all over it!
BftD_X53_71124_26.jpg
BftD_X53_71124_27.jpg
BftD_X53_71124_28.jpg

I was all geared up to mock up a few more parts white these wheels and tires, but I feel like that won't be necessary now.
BftD_X53_71124_29.jpg
BftD_X53_71124_30.jpg

I did mock up one more idea this evening though. I wanted to give the line from the twin bars a place to go, and I figured I could modify a sissy bar to make a nice rear rack. I think it totally works!
BftD_X53_71224_1.jpg
BftD_X53_71224_2.jpg

I also though that I might use a white banana seat along with the horizontal sissy bar, but I think the regular white cruiser seat will work just fine.
BftD_X53_71224_3.jpg
BftD_X53_71224_4.jpg

As nice as my last mockup on the X-53 looked, I really wanted another klunker to ride out on the gravel trails. I also wanted to make use of as many black-painted parts I had on hand as possible, and I had a few more ideas to achieve both of those goals. I took advantage of the cooler weather this morning and mocked up a few more parts.

And I got to say, I'm glad I did. First, I switched to blackwall tires (1.75" up front, 2.125" out back,) on black wheels, and installed a black chainring and crank off a Huffy Cranbrook I had laying around.
BftD_X53_71724_1.jpg
BftD_X53_71724_2.jpg

I also toyed around with some red handlebar grips to go with the red scallop on the frame.
BftD_X53_71724_3.jpg
BftD_X53_71724_4.jpg

If I can remove them without damaging them, I'd really like to use these red Western Flyer grips, since this X-53 would've been sold through Western Auto.
BftD_X53_71724_5.jpg
BftD_X53_71724_6.jpg
BftD_X53_71724_7.jpg
BftD_X53_71724_8.jpg

My last mockup involved swapping out the big and little blackwall tires for a matching pair of 26" x 2.125" "redline" tires. I think this is the look right here. The lines add just that much more color on an otherwise black bike.
BftD_X53_71724_9.jpg
BftD_X53_71724_10.jpg
BftD_X53_71724_11.jpg
BftD_X53_71724_12.jpg
BftD_X53_71724_13.jpg

I'm really happy with how this turned out. It's got a sort of "dual-sport" vibe going on, where I could ride this both on the sidewalk as well as on gravel.

Got more mockups to share!

I decided to play around with this Murray 3-speed road bike and see if I could build it into something I like. Admittedly, I'm not a big fan of these skinny-wheel road bikes as they just feel kind of generic to me, but I've a few customs built out of these bikes that I like, so I figured it was worth experimenting with.
BtfD_7_bikes_4.jpg

Most of last Thursday was spent just taking the bike apart. Had a funny moment where the chain broke my chain breaker.
BftD_3spd_murray_mockups_71824_1.jpg

And I don't know what happened to this front brake bolt, but it's definitely seen better days.
BftD_3spd_murray_mockups_71824_2.jpg

I couldn't get the fork off, but I decided to play around with a few ideas. I wanted to fit some balloon tires on this bike, but the biggest tires that could fit were some middleweight tires I had. There might be enough room for some 1.95"-wide Thick Slicks, but I don't have those.

Still, I had a few ideas to make it into either a BMX-style bomber, a "lightweight" stripped-down cruiser, or maybe even a klunker, but nothing's really stuck so far. Most of my mockup process just involved swapping handlebars.
BftD_3spd_murray_mockups_71824_3.jpg
BftD_3spd_murray_mockups_71824_4.jpg
BftD_3spd_murray_mockups_71824_5.jpg
BftD_3spd_murray_mockups_71824_23.jpg
BftD_3spd_murray_mockups_71824_6.jpg
BftD_3spd_murray_mockups_71824_7.jpg
BftD_3spd_murray_mockups_71824_8.jpg
BftD_3spd_murray_mockups_71824_9.jpg
BftD_3spd_murray_mockups_71824_10.jpg
BftD_3spd_murray_mockups_71824_11.jpg
BftD_3spd_murray_mockups_71824_12.jpg
BftD_3spd_murray_mockups_71824_13.jpg
BftD_3spd_murray_mockups_71824_24.jpg
BftD_3spd_murray_mockups_71824_14.jpg
BftD_3spd_murray_mockups_71824_15.jpg
BftD_3spd_murray_mockups_71824_16.jpg
BftD_3spd_murray_mockups_71824_17.jpg
BftD_3spd_murray_mockups_71824_18.jpg
BftD_3spd_murray_mockups_71824_19.jpg
BftD_3spd_murray_mockups_71824_25.jpg

While I like beefier tires on my bikes, I did acquire a matching pair of perfectly good 26" x 1 1/2" Kendas that I'd like to use on something. I tried throwing one on a skinny wheel, but I could not for the life of me get it to mount to the wheel. This wheel had a 26" x 1 3/8" tire on it that came off just fine, but this one wouldn't go on even without a tube inside! Anyone know what the problem may be?
BftD_3spd_murray_mockups_71824_20.jpg
BftD_3spd_murray_mockups_71824_21.jpg
BftD_3spd_murray_mockups_71824_22.jpg

That's as far as my mockups got with this bike. I haven't figured out what I want to do with it yet, but I'll play around with it some more later.

It's an incredibly minor mockup, but while I was picking up a few more bikes and parts from storage, I decided to see what this JC Higgins I got a couple months ago would look like with a chrome rear rack to go along with the one up front. Personally, I think it helps give the line from that front rack a place to go, and it balances the look of the overall bike.
BftD_dusty_jc_higgins_rack.jpg

The only problem is that it's still not enough to help me decide what to do with this bike. It's a very nice bike, but I really don't want more "factory-original fluff-up" projects right now, especially not in red (I already have 2 factory red bikes I'm freshening up already.) I also don't want to strip this bike and repaint it my way, as the original paint and patina looks too good on this bike fore that. I could part it out and hold onto what I want and sell or trade the rest, but I'm not sure I want to do that either. I can worry about that later.

The next bike I mocked up earlier this week was a bike I originally bought for parts I needed to fix up my grandpa's AMF-built Western Flyer. I actually like the shape of these earlier AMF/CWC step-thru bikes, so even though it was just meant to be a parts donor, I still figured I might do something with the leftover parts.
BftD_pilot_donor_1.jpg

When I was reassembling the bike, I noticed the bottom of the headset wasn't quite as circular as I thought. I don't know if the frame was damaged or not, but only one bearing cup was going to fit there: the original.
BftD_pilot_mockups_72124_1.jpg

Although, I can't say it was a perfect fit. Who thought it was a good idea to leave no room for the bearing cup on this frame? I might be able to make it work, but I don't know.
BftD_pilot_mockups_72124_2.jpg

I was originally thinking of building up this bike as more of a stripped-down street bomber, but when I learned that I could squeeze a 2.125"-wide tire inside the fenders, I decided to see how it'd look with fenders and a different chain guard first.
BftD_pilot_mockups_72124_3.jpg
BftD_pilot_mockups_72124_4.jpg

I've got to say, I love the look! It's not as wild as my usual ideas, but I think this bike looks good with only a few subtle changes. I love the other chain guard, especially when it sits low enough to continue the line the top tube provides. I'll need to weld a mounting tab to the frame to keep it in place, though, as the original chain guard wrapped around the seat tube. The best part of this mockup though is the look of those 2 balloon tires filling up the fenders.
BftD_pilot_mockups_72124_5.jpg
BftD_pilot_mockups_72124_6.jpg
BftD_pilot_mockups_72124_7.jpg
BftD_pilot_mockups_72124_8.jpg

As cool as the balloon tires look on this AMF, they just barely fit. It doesn't help that the front fender brace looks to be a little too long, as the fender doesn't sit quite right. I might be able to fix that though by just making the axle hole a little longer.
BftD_pilot_mockups_72124_9.jpg
BftD_pilot_mockups_72124_10.jpg

The back end is more of a puzzle. I don't know if the fender braces or the frame's rear triangle is the issue, but no matter how I tried to adjust the wheel, the right side always had less clearance than the left side.
BftD_pilot_mockups_72124_11.jpg

The front brace could probably be opened up enough to clear the tire, but it squeezes against both sides as it is right now.
BftD_pilot_mockups_72124_12.jpg
BftD_pilot_mockups_72124_13.jpg
BftD_pilot_mockups_72124_14.jpg

There isn't a ton of clearance on the left side of the rear tire, but there's certainly more than on the right side.
BftD_pilot_mockups_72124_15.jpg
BftD_pilot_mockups_72124_16.jpg
BftD_pilot_mockups_72124_17.jpg
BftD_pilot_mockups_72124_18.jpg

I really didn't want to sacrifice the look those balloon tires gave this bike, but I could not turn either wheel without the tires rubbing against the fenders. I couldn't even get the rear wheel on without deflating the tire first. I wasn't quite sure how to make this work, but I had an idea...

I mocked up my new idea earlier today. First, I used a narrower set of wheels to help pinch in the tires more.
BftD_pilot_wheels_n_tires_1.jpg

Second, and more importantly, I used a pair of 26" x 2.125" "Walmart whitewalls" I've been sitting on for a while. Not only do these tires have a rounder profile than the other tires I had mocked up before, but they're also not as wide as other balloon tires. They're still wider than a set of 1.75"-wide middleweight tires though, so they still manage to fill the fenders fairly well without rubbing as badly as the other tires!
BftD_pilot_wheels_n_tires_2.jpg
BftD_pilot_wheels_n_tires_3.jpg
BftD_pilot_wheels_n_tires_4.jpg
BftD_pilot_wheels_n_tires_5.jpg
BftD_pilot_wheels_n_tires_6.jpg

All that's left to do as far as this mockup goes is to make a few slight adjustments to the fenders and maybe the frame to help clear the tires that much better. I haven't decided on paint schemes yet, but I feel like this bike needs something vintage and mellow. This isn't some wild and crazy custom bike; it's just a nice, classic cruiser, and I want something to reflect that.

I mocked up my new idea earlier today. First, I used a narrower set of wheels to help pinch in the tires more.
View attachment 274398

Second, and more importantly, I used a pair of 26" x 2.125" "Walmart whitewalls" I've been sitting on for a while. Not only do these tires have a rounder profile than the other tires I had mocked up before, but they're also not as wide as other balloon tires. They're still wider than a set of 1.75"-wide middleweight tires though, so they still manage to fill the fenders fairly well without rubbing as badly as the other tires!
View attachment 274399View attachment 274400View attachment 274401View attachment 274402View attachment 274403

All that's left to do as far as this mockup goes is to make a few slight adjustments to the fenders and maybe the frame to help clear the tires that much better. I haven't decided on paint schemes yet, but I feel like this bike needs something vintage and mellow. This isn't some wild and crazy custom bike; it's just a nice, classic cruiser, and I want something to reflect that.
I haven't properly catched up lately, but seeing the mockups on this page: The blackwheeled, red-headed klunker bike and now this blue and pink lady, I really enjoy looking at those mockups. Beautiful!

Back