Bike registration coming to New Jersey...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New Jersey is bugging out. I am always riding in NJ but I live in NYC.. I guess all i have to do is so my license that i am a nonresident. Can you imagine me registering 6 bikes? lol

Money grab, yes, absolutely.

But also very much a part of the ongoing, and intensifying battle between the roads-are-for-cars-only people, and cyclists.
This BS comes up when people gripe to their congressman that "If bikes are allowed on the roads they should have registration and be paying taxes, etc." argument. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Won't be too bad if the plates are cool looking! Sorry just trying to find a bright side for you. I hope Illinois does not catch wind of this. Comrade Quinn and his buddy Sec. of State Jesse (I teach criminals to escape) White will jump on that in a heartbeat!

Buck Masterson said:
Won't be too bad if the plates are cool looking! Sorry just trying to find a bright side for you. I hope Illinois does not catch wind of this. Comrade Quinn and his buddy Sec. of State Jesse (I teach criminals to escape) White will jump on that in a heartbeat!

SSHHHHH!!!
It's only a matter of time.

i dont evre plan to ride my bikes in jersey, however laws like this are contagious. look at smog laws that started in california. so, it really is all of our problem. next will be insurance requirements. then dealers license for those who transfer too many registrations a year.the good news is theres always a loophole, we just gotta find it.

$20 that's only the additional tax on 20 packs of cigarettes now in Illinois if the new law passes.If the unladen weight of my Western Tire and Auto SilverShield is too high do I have to get a higher class license like trucks? What a sad joke on the people of NJ that is!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

XC204 said:
$20 that's only the additional tax on 20 packs of cigarettes now in Illinois if the new law passes.If the unladen weight of my Western Tire and Auto SilverShield is too high do I have to get a higher class license like trucks? What a sad joke on the people of NJ that is!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You have a valid point there with the wieght.
What about bigger people that ride bikes? Are we gonna have to have oversize load placards on the bikes?

I might consider it if they had an antique or classic tag reserved for our bikes. Maybe a designated rat tag.

Ya know, me and the wife have been talking about moving to Arizona...
What worries me is where all the money will be going. Considering we are the most populated state in the union, and the most heavily taxed, you'd think we'd have some results for all this tax base, like pothole free roads...
Besides I have at least 12 roadworthy bikes. That's $240 bucks for the privilege of bending my rims and flatting my tire on the pothole filled, glass laden skreefields they pass off as shoulders in this state...and what if your bike is on a car rack? does that still count, because I'll sure as h-e-double hockey sticks be carrying my bike (and my money) out of state to ride from now on if this passes... :x

I can't believe a bill can be passed without a statement of purpose. Specifically what need is this covering? And will the $10 be enough to cover the administrative cost. I read somewhere this is to appease those people who think if bikes are registered then they are paying their fair share.

Here is an interesting article/study that just came out regarding road funding and gasoline taxes.

https://www.floridapirg.org/home/report ... hemselves2

Synopsis:
* Federal gasoline taxes were originally intended for debt relief, not roads.
* Highways, roads, and streets have received more than $600 billion in subsidies over the last 63 years in excess of the amount raised through gasoline taxes.
* The amount of money a particular driver pays in gasoline taxes bears little relationship to his or her use of roads funded by gas taxes. Drivers pay gasoline taxes for the miles they drive on local streets and roads, even though those proceeds are typically used to pay for state and federal highways.

I'm glad I don't live in NJ :roll:
12 bikesx$20=$240 :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

[quote=" I hope Illinois does not catch wind of this. Comrade Quinn and his buddy Sec. of State Jesse (I teach criminals to escape) White will jump on that in a heartbeat![/quote]
Believe me, if it passes here, it's just the first domino to fall. :(

You guys are lucky to have registration. We would LOVE to have that here.

In fact we have been using http://www.bicyclerevelution.org here to register.

The problem with this is that that money is no longer local. It does not fund local trails and commuting paths, bike lanes etc.

Bicycles do not belong on sidewalks that are in business areas or heavily crowded.

You should feel lucky to have such a thing. If licensing makes life easier for cyclists, AWESOME!

Man that is just wrong. I hope Indiana doesn't follow suit. We still ride mopeds with no license, registration, or anything. They do have an optional registration in case your bike is stolen but any idiot knows a thief just peels off the sticker :roll:

Man I have 30+ bikes x $20 a bike.......I wouldn't have any money left for parts!
Also what if your bike isn't worth $20? do you get a discount? :lol:

If it happens here in NY there are a ton of bikes delivering food from restaurants,delis etc. There is no way they'll all be registered. Good luck trying to enforce it.
Just another hand in your pocket book.

I think we should all go back to the days of model T's and anyone over 15 driving with nothing but a smile. I figure as long as you're not on the highways with it you shouldn't have to pay to ride it. Also with our older bikes do they fall under a grandfather's clause or something? Maybe legally exempt? :wink:

Most cops in my area are idiots so I'm sure they wouldn't know and are too lazy to do the extra paperwork to find out..... :lol:

Back