Bike service rack and tool set help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking on Amazon at a few bike service racks and can't decide which one to go with with my limited experience. Same goes for a set of bike tools. Before you say it you get what you pay for but Park tools and stand is not in the budget right now. Plus my thought is if you wear out the cheap stuff you deserve to replace it with quality stuff.

Here are a few stands and tool sets that I'm looking at. All the reviews are a mix bag. Any thoughts would be awesome!

Tool sets
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CW...ct=true&ref_=pe_139600_122564390_em_1p_11_im#

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005K...64390_em_1p_4_im#immersive-view_1408565174887

Service Stands
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005PQHO8A/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1408565225&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BLPBSXG/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?qid=1408565378&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

I have both the stands you have in your post. I bought them in the order you posted them. The clamp arm on the second one is vastly superior to the first one. It does a much better job of keeping the bike at the angle you want. Neither are heavy duty, but do the job for the money.

Like he said. The second rack!
You only need a few bicycle specific tools. Cable stretcher, cone wrenches, cog tools, chain whip, crank puller, and chain breaker. The rest can be crapman!

Like he said. The second rack!
You only need a few bicycle specific tools. Cable stretcher, cone wrenches, cog tools, chain whip, crank puller, and chain breaker. The rest can be crapman!
And a good pedal wrench too, As for the stand it really depends on how much you plan on working on bikes. when I got mine I opted to wait and get a Parks stand, ended up finding one lightly used on ebay for about half the new price.

Which Park stand did you buy? I can buy this one for $137 but it doesn't look any stronger then some of the imported ones.

ea536a037e945d90bca627a253f52be0.jpg

How much is the price difference for the next one up for the Park Tools stand you show? I have the pcs-10, you show the 9.

http://www.parktool.com/product/home-mechanic-repair-stand-pcs-10

Mine, the pcs-10 version, will hold up a heavy fat bike no problem. Use it often to tune and adjust my Salsa. Just watch out where the fork is going to spin around and bite you. It will happen.

Might write down the sizes you need for tools and check out your local pawn shops. Tools, especially hand tools can be had CHEAP. And you will find that you really only need a few sizes out of a set anyway. Get a small tool bag and fill it up with basic tools you know you need now and add to the kit as you need to. Go as cheap or fancy as you desire.

Just remembered, if you can spring for it, the newest version of the Park Tools Big Blue Book of bicycle repair would make a nice addition to the home bike shop. I got one and love it.

Last edited:
Might write down the sizes you need for tools and check out your local pawn shops. Tools, especially hand tools can be had CHEAP. And you will find that you really only need a few sizes out of a set anyway. Get a small tool bag and fill it up with basic tools you know you need now and add to the kit as you need to. Go as cheap or fancy as you desire.

I have to agree here. Most of my craftsman hand tools were bought as singles from pawn shops. I've found that some have boxes with cheapo tools for $0.50-$1 each but will often put craftsman tools in that have peoples initials engraved on them. I picked up a bunch of wrenches that way then they all somehow :rolleyes: got bent or broken and got shiny new replacements for free. I think I've got a couple left with stuff engraved I need to fix that.

Also as strange as it is the few specialized tools I have a few that are park & 2 that are no name; I'll tell you a no name chain break is a good thing to have with you when you ride but not as a regular use tool. But oddly enough the $1 + free shipping freewheel removal tool I got from eBay that shipped from China is still going strong after 4+ years and easily 200-300 uses; best $1 I ever spent lol.

When it comes to spoke wrenches don't buy anything less than park & same for 3 piece crank arm removal tool.

For a spoke wrench I like the SW-7 its a good solid piece that does sizes 0, 1, & 2.
Only time it doesn't work is on wheels with crazy numbers of spokes; I've used it on a 20" wheel with 48 straight spokes.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for taking the time to share Guys!! I guess I need to tap some shop time an assess what tool I already own that can double duty as bike tools too. The make a list of what I'm missing or what would make the job easier.

I've been tossing around the idea of making my own bike service rack after watching this video.

But I was thinking of adding another T connector half way up the vertical pipe to add a tool tray and paper towel holder. I also had another idea of using steel T connector butterflied open with cam-lock similar to on a seatpost clamp or skewer. he tough part it how to connect the bike clamp to the horizontal bar. I wonder if a radiator type hose would work?

Back