TRADITIONAL It's SUPER ELLIOT!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well @twojs.bike - seek and ye shall find.

I was refurbishing the bike's original derailleur as discussed and noted stamped on the cage: 4-speed 3/32 - 3-speed 1/8. DOH!

18th.jpg

Sio that answers that question.

deraileur3.jpg

I don't normally use shifting spanners if I can avoid it - but the machine screw seem to be imperial sizes (and thankfully we've been metric since I was a kid).

Anyway - new or near-new jockey wheels fitted, lubricated - and it seems to be quite functional now. On the bench anyhoo.

Certainly better than it was,

deraileur1.jpg

I also got the new brake levers - and they work great.

levers.jpg

Look much more period-correct too.

leverson.jpg

Just waiting for some 1/8 missing link-type chain joiners to arrive and I'll have another crack at some gears!

I put the shifter back on while I was fitting the levers.

I'll see if it works - and then maybe try some of these clamp-on cable stops on the downtube.

MT213-286SI.jpg

Tally-ho!

Nice!! Your photography is great. I am slowly developing in interest. Maybe I should give up bikes and focus my energy there. Ha! It certainly would solve the problem of my garage FULL of bikes.

We should start a thread dedicated to photographing bicycles. (If that doesn’t already exist).

I bet the original derailleur will work. I have used this derailleur database for research a few times. Did you ever get a make and model? Would be curious to look it up. I tried searching on 3 speed, but it seems you have to start with a brand.

https://www.disraeligears.co.uk/site/derailleurs_-_brands.html

Nice!! Your photography is great. I am slowly developing in interest. Maybe I should give up bikes and focus my energy there. Ha! It certainly would solve the problem of my garage FULL of bikes.

We should start a thread dedicated to photographing bicycles. (If that doesn’t already exist).

I bet the original derailleur will work. I have used this derailleur database for research a few times. Did you ever get a make and model? Would be curious to look it up. I tried searching on 3 speed, but it seems you have to start with a brand.

https://www.disraeligears.co.uk/site/derailleurs_-_brands.html

Cheers - bikes are a cheaper habit. It's part of my gig - but I have around $40k worth of cameras and kit on the shelf currently.

Unfortunately the brand on the derailleur was hard to read after all the corrosion on the chrome. But I polished it up some more - it's a 'Cyclo' by the looks of it.

I would have bet it was a Simplex 'Tour de France' because I found an install sheet with one that looked exactly the same on that site - back when I first started researching. (Unfortunately I can't find it now.) But it was identical:

cyclo.jpg

Cyclo sold a kit to add a 3 gear cog to your 3 speed Sturmey along with a derailleur for 1/8" chain. This gave you 9 gears, with a couple overlapping. You could also use that kit on a coaster brake hub. The chain was kept short, just long enough to get on top of low gear. Pedal back for the brake was still okay in high gear.

I have one of those somewhere, wish I had a picture to show.

Google finds everything:
1717263325989.png

Last edited:
Cyclo sold a kit to add a 3 gear cog to your 3 speed Sturmey along with a derailleur for 1/8" chain. This gave you 9 gears, with a couple overlapping. You could also use that kit on a coaster brake hub. The chain was kept short, just long enough to get on top of low gear. Pedal back for the brake was still okay in high gear.

I have one of those somewhere, wish I had a picture to show.

Google finds everything:
View attachment 267906

That is super cool!!

I'm looking forward to the return of the derailleur. The bike looks fantastic!

Well, your esteemed revival-ness, it has done that. With a degree of functionality. 3rd can be a bit flakey - further adjustment should resolve.

gears.jpg

The cable is the next conundrum. It was originally secured by clips - but they were beyond it. I have clamps in stock - but not the right size (naturally.)

I also don't mind it just hanging. We'll have a look in t' daylight tomorrow. Once that is resolved I believe it's done. Apart from riding it dontchaknow.

gears2.jpg

Cool! There is something satisfying about the chainline stretched down parallel with the bottom of the chainring on this bike

The cable is the next conundrum. It was originally secured by clips - but they were beyond it. I have clamps in stock - but not the right size (naturally.)

One word: InternalCableRouting. :D

internal-cable-routing-v0-oa3zw5br8zua1.jpg

How would I go about fitting a chain guard?

And Yea or Nay - ?

Just a thought.
Nay

How would I go about fitting a chain guard?

And Yea or Nay - ?

Just a thought.
If you have one of them originals I'd say yay for sure. Looks like you need to let out on you pivot screw on the deraileur. Should be hugging the cog tighter than that. Might need to shorten the chain a smidge too. For single front ring should be enough chain to wrap the largest cog + 2 links. Glad you put the deraileur back on. Gears are nice on a trike.

trik8.jpg

Cheers - I moved the axle further forward in the dropouts and dropped 4 links - and reset the adjuster to middle.

It's around +2 now - if I go any tighter it fouls the derailer body on the up stroke. The front is 4 teeth smaller than original too.

Shifting is better - I also think the issue with getting third sometimes is the lack of cable stops. It's a big jump and needs some pullin'.

Shakedown to follow.

4links.jpg

4links2.jpg

Back