bike tear down question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was hoping to drop off my frame to get painted tomorrow but there are a couple things still left on the frame that i cant get off. the bearing cups in the bottom bracket will not come out. are they threaded or are they just sitting in there? also, the bearing cups in the headset will not move. again, threaded or just sitting in there?

the frame is late 40's cleveland welding company frame.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zachlarson/3408339844/

thanks.

They are more than likely pressed in. I've had good luck banging them out with a brass bar and a hammer from the opposite side. Getting them in can be tricky with out a press. I make sure they are really flat and lay a piece of oak over it and apply the hammer again.

or you can tape them.

thatismytruck said:
They are more than likely pressed in. I've had good luck banging them out with a brass bar and a hammer from the opposite side. Getting them in can be tricky with out a press. I make sure they are really flat and lay a piece of oak over it and apply the hammer again.

or you can tape them.

can you tape things off for powder coat?

Part of the powder-coat process involves baking the paint at fairly high temperature, not sure regular tape would survive that :| !
Call your coater and ask what they recommend.
When removing pressed in parts, remember to switch sides while hammering. Example ; 2 shots at 12 o-clock, 2 shots at 6 o-clock, then 12, then 6 again,...this allows the cup to "wiggle" out. I like to put them back on the fork, or crank, as I remove them, so that they don't get mixed up before the re-install.
Hope that helps.
Rick

i use a big ole screwdriver and bang em out, moving around in a circle, like rick said. a lot of bottom bracket cups and headtube cups are very stubborn, just take your time.

I use a big punch with a ball peen hammer to bang them out, then to reinstall use a piece of all thread with big washers and a couple of nuts and use it like a press to get them back in. :wink:

Here's one I put together. I still generally just use a rubber mallet or small sledge and a board.

bearing_cup_tool.jpg

thanks for all the advice. i used the end of a pipe wrench and a hammer to knock out the bottom bracket cups and big screwdriver and a hammer to knock out the headset cups. i dropped it off for paint this morning. $50 for powdercoating, not too bad.

i have a guy that will do $20 sandblast or $60 sandblast and powdercoat

mostly they just want cars and dont think theyll make enough to even run the compressor.....
i even tried sneaking a frame in with a resto/rod we did at work but that didnt fly :lol:
80grit and 2 hours works just as well(and for the tough spots a small spot blaster will work wonders)...

Latest posts

Back