Bike to survive the end of america?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
one or two bikes... one...or two... good lord, that sounds like doom all by it's self.

seriously, i like my stretches, but i'm not sure how practical they'd be in that situation. i might keep my bagger stretch, and my lightweight stretch. both are still projects, but the bagger could haul a bit, and the lighter stretch (it's not real light, just lighter than the others) might be good for a longer distance. or maybe replace one of them with a good mountain bike.

Rat Rod said:
Invest in gold! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The banner ads on his website give it away.

I thought toilet paper was supposed to be the ultimate investment in the event of future economical collapse and world wide anarchy.

CCR said:
I thought toilet paper was supposed to be the ultimate investment in the event of future economical collapse and world wide anarchy.

Toilet paper will disappear by then, we will be using sea shells instead.

Like most folks here I've fantasized about the zombie apocalypse too, but it's not without its conundrums. I REALLY, REALLY, I mean REALLY like cars, I've had a fascination with them since childhood. I've had a Car and Driver subscription since I was a youngster, more than 20 years worth now.
That said, I pray for the day when the streets are silenced, when bicyclists can ride freely on the roads, when people won't commute 3 hours round trip each and every day. GET A JOB IN THE TOWN WHERE YOU LIVE! and ride to and from it.

I'm just trying to look at the bright side of a collapse....

weloveour86FieroSE said:
xddorox said:

till i followed the link you posted i really thought that was a door as the trailers deck!

how great is that?

Maybe have a pull-off? see who could haul the biggest and weirdest? lol Whats the strangest thing someones ever hauled? how about a billy goat or something? Maybe a gaggle of geese? No no i know a miniature horse! blank

Ok I got a weird one for you, a fiberglass cop car back seat! I was thinking of cutting it up and making a speaker box/ seat for my trailer out of it. Still sitting out back of my shed. :roll:

As far as the biggest I think I have that record, I've hauled over 800lbs of scrap in one trip. Using both of my trailers and low gear on a 3 speed sturmey archer of coarse. The trailers are rated for 350lbs each so I think I voided the warranties..... :mrgreen:

blackdiamond said:
Invest in gold.... so you mean schwinn autocycles, and elgin bluebirds , right? :lol:
Oh, YEAH. Or a rusty gold plated bluebird...... 8)

xddorox said:
weloveour86FieroSE said:
outskirtscustoms said:
I'd keep every bike i could lay my hands on...... :? Oh wait I already do that :mrgreen: I'd also keep my two trailers. They come in handy, I just got back from helping a buddy haul home a couch with it. :mrgreen: I get lots of strange looks but it's okay. :roll: :lol:

Wait wait wait lemme get this right... you hauled a couch with a bike? lol i bet that would draw some looks! Love to see that!

How about this?

BigTrailer-1.jpg

It was surprisingly easy to pull home.

Sorry but whats that furniture your moving anyway? Is that a busted leg? Please oh please tell me your not taking that busted thing to restore it! LOL! thats a great pic! cant wait to see someone hauling a pot-belly pig or maybe a billy goat!

I find it alarming that China is becoming interested in cars at the same time America is getting reacquainted with bicycles.
Regan would not have wanted it this way.

We need to impose tariffs on all Chinese goods asap. The reason we don't, I suspect, is that they own about 2 trillion of our fake debt.

As far as my apocalypse bike? the 1st Trek carbon y bike that ever made it to my state. A mostly original (now redone) Y22.
It will go to bursts of 31 mph sitting down and crawls over cars.
It weighs less than the wheels on my latest Hawthorne build.
It flies through the air and is pretty comfortable.

Cult following.
Just about to reach collectible status.
Lifetime replacement warranty on frame.

Just read a book called "One Second After" I'm no conspiracy theorist but this is one sacry book. Three EMP munitions are detonated over N. America in the scenario and only bicycles or very old cars still work. Everything breaks down into anarchy except for the vigilance of a few patriots. http://www.onesecondafter.com/

Lonewolf said:
I find it alarming that China is becoming interested in cars at the same time America is getting reacquainted with bicycles.

We need to impose tariffs on all Chinese goods asap. The reason we don't, I suspect, is that they own about 2 trillion of our fake debt.

As far as my apocalypse bike? the 1st Trek carbon y bike that ever made it to my state. A mostly original (now redone) Y22.

Cult following.

Interesting choice of bikes, I like it. Hmmmmmmm, I wonder if my friend still has hers stowed in her garage, she worked at the LBS back in the day and was the first/only person around here to own one, electric green.

I'd have to say if I had to narrow it down to only one bike ( :shock: that is a scary thought :shock: ) it would be my 24" Mosh Method BMX / trails bike hands down. Has the perfect gearing to tear it up around town, sturdy enough to take abuse at the skate park, goes off road just as easy as street or vert, comfortable, inconspicuous black color for night time stealth missions, and it even tows my trailer for hauling stuff. Only end of the world mods would be a set of double or triple wall rims to replace the single wall sun rims, a 3 piece crank with a bash guard, and some tire liners to keep the air inside them. Remember in the end times there will be broken bottles, jagged rocks, and lots of tire hazards everywhere. And maybe one of these for the trailer. :mrgreen:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/comfycouchman/3764414677/

Here's the bike
Mosh.jpg

Tailwinds said:
Lonewolf said:

Cult following.

Interesting choice of bikes, I like it. Hmmmmmmm, I wonder if my friend still has hers stowed in her garage, she worked at the LBS back in the day and was the first/only person around here to own one, electric green.

Alot of Y bikes had metal frames, later on and I don't remember the green color. Mine is an 18", I am 6'0'' and it's slightly cumbersome. Chances are, hers is a 16" frame and would be a great choice for any guy my size as it would be alot more "Flickable". I say go get it.

outskirtscustoms said:
I'd keep every bike i could lay my hands on...... :? Oh wait I already do that :mrgreen: I'd also keep my two trailers. They come in handy, I just got back from helping a buddy haul home a couch with it. :mrgreen: I get lots of strange looks but it's okay. :roll: :lol:

No pictures? prolly didn't happen :lol: No really we believe you but pics would be great!

weloveour86FieroSE said:
xddorox said:
How about this?

It was surprisingly easy to pull home.

Sorry but whats that furniture your moving anyway? Is that a busted leg? Please oh please tell me your not taking that busted thing to restore it! LOL! thats a great pic! cant wait to see someone hauling a pot-belly pig or maybe a billy goat!

That's back when we bought our house and we were broke. Got this in the trash and used it for some years in the living room with some bricks to replace the legs.

Here's some local movers who only use bikes and trailers:

IMG_0633.jpg

IMG_0632.jpg

IMG_0634.jpg

For myself in case of an "emergency" I would stick with the long bike. A trailer can be a pain.

Just read a book called "One Second After" I'm no conspiracy theorist but this is one sacry book. Three EMP munitions are detonated over N. America in the scenario and only bicycles or very old cars still work

Glad an author describe post apocolypse use of a bike. Drives me crazy in the movies and tv when survivors are always walking 'cause the cars don't work. I always scream at the tv..get a flipping bike!!

Back