BikeKill / Black Label Bike Club

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 35233

Deactivated account
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite day of the year, hands down! See you next October?
IMG_0847.jpeg
IMG_0866.jpeg

IMG_0882.jpeg
IMG_0890.jpeg
IMG_0894.jpeg
IMG_0905.jpeg
IMG_0912.jpeg
IMG_0916.jpeg
IMG_0935.jpeg
IMG_0939.jpeg
IMG_0961.jpeg
IMG_0964.jpeg
IMG_0967.jpeg
IMG_0975 (1).jpeg
IMG_1010.jpeg
IMG_1018.jpeg
IMG_1024.jpeg
IMG_1029.jpeg
IMG_1046.jpeg
IMG_1057.jpeg
IMG_1063.jpeg
IMG_1066.jpeg
IMG_1070.jpeg
IMG_1074.jpeg
IMG_1075.jpeg
IMG_1080.jpeg
IMG_1089.jpeg
IMG_1090.jpeg
IMG_1094.jpeg
IMG_1103.jpeg
IMG_1115.jpeg
IMG_1129.jpeg
IMG_1153.jpeg
IMG_1165.jpeg
IMG_1188.jpeg
IMG_1189.jpeg
IMG_1190.jpeg
IMG_1195.jpeg
IMG_1197.jpeg
Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 10.42.21 PM.png

Last edited:
A while back we had a little discussion about, “what is a Frankenbike?” (For some reason we couldn’t have a civilized discussion, and the thread got closed.)

Until the term freakbike became common, possibly with the introduction of freakbike.org, these are what we called Frankenbikes.

Having something built from 9 different bikes can make it a freakbike, but but if it’s slick, it’s a “radical custom”. Frankenbikes and freakbikes were never slick.

But now, somehow, bad is good, and sick is well, and dope is smart. The world is turned upside down. LOL

Anyhow, when I say Frankenbike, these Black Label Club bikes are what I mean.

A while back we had a little discussion about, “what is a Frankenbike?” (For some reason we couldn’t have a civilized discussion, and the thread got closed.)

Until the term freakbike became common, possibly with the introduction of freakbike.org, these are what we called Frankenbikes.

Having something built from 9 different bikes can make it a freakbike, but but if it’s slick, it’s a “radical custom”. Frankenbikes and freakbikes were never slick.

But now, somehow, bad is good, and sick is well, and dope is smart. The world is turned upside down. LOL

Anyhow, when I say Frankenbike, these Black Label Club bikes are what I mean.
Threads about "definitions" rarely go well and will often devolve into bickering back and forth. You know the old saying about opinions. That is why in the main rules on this site there's a rule as to why we don't discuss what constitutes a rat rod

It's that way all over the internet where people fix make or restore things unfortunately. Most of the time it's easier to just squash it and let everyone have their own opinions

Threads about "definitions" rarely go well and will often devolve into bickering back and forth. You know the old saying about opinions. That is why in the main rules on this site there's a rule as to why we don't discuss what constitutes a rat rod

It's that way all over the internet where people fix make or restore things unfortunately. Most of the time it's easier to just squash it and let everyone have their own opinions
Agreed. Labels divide. As a constant outsider not fitting one clique's builds or another's fashion it was nice finding a home here. I think a simple way to solve said squabbles might be focusing on ride-ability rather than parts as many of these rides are not regularly usable thus eliminating the issue, but the few that are offer inspiration. In any case it's a unique experience around things we appreciate and this board ain't exactly hopping with events (near me =)

Last edited:
Threads about "definitions" rarely go well . . . . Most of the time it's easier to just squash it . . .

As you are a volunteer I couldn’t possibly expect you to work harder.

When a moderator is doing a good job, so much goes unseen & thus is totally unappreciated.

But things run well & here they do. Please accept my appreciation.

I know it is difficult to have an exchange of data without an exchange of emotion. I am only interested in discussing the history of this business and how it all came about. Civilly. Clinically. Happily.

I don’t have any sacred ox to sit on here.

Agreed. Labels divide people.

While labels can be used that evil way, It’s not a one-way street brother.

We all joined together under the label of “rat rod bikes.”

Without that label, how could we describe what we do?

It would require a different label. ;)

I’ve lived at least 20 different towns/cities/sticks in my life, and things/people were different everywhere. Differences deserve examination. That’s Basic science at work.

I can name, & locate, every one of those places for you, only because they all have labels on the map.

Typically the week of Halloween in Redhook, Brooklyn.

No one’s ever seen anything like that around here. This is the coolest exhibition I have seen posted since freakbike.org

Chicago folks may have some catching up to do.

BTW I am old and have crummy knees from sports injuries, but for some reason I want to build a taller bike now.

There is one custom bike shop within 10 miles of me and all they make is lowriders.

There’s another guy in Fresno doing full radical customs, but I think they are all lowriders or “hydraulic” machines.

As it is, I ride the tallest bike I have seen around these parts. It’s not that tall. This is my tallest granddaughter stretching her legs.
E243A02B-D78A-4A0B-97EB-D6812467D961.jpeg

I thought I recognized that as Red Hook. I miss going to the Red Hook Criterium. I hope it comes back someday.
Lol. As soon as he posted that I was going to tag you but you'd already posted

Latest posts

Back