bikes you miss from your childhood and why?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since I joined this site I fell in love again with the freedom and simple joy a bike ride can bring. It has seriously landed me in many thoughts of my childhood bike riding days. So Im curious what is your bike of the past you miss and why?.

If I could magically have my 1992 blue frame/chrome fork Dyno Detour back from being stolen when I was 15....I would die. It was everything to me for the simple reason of all I experienced on it. It taught me how not to be cheap...simply because cheap broke down...It taught me to work with my hands fixing and building it daily from the stunt abuse....It taught me that when things get tough at home or in the neighborhood rely on me push and pedal harder I'll see you out of trouble and most of all because it brought me to have my first kiss.

Although my '85 VDC Gorilla (the only white Gorilla they ever built) is fondly remembered, it's my beat-up, second-hand Kos Cruiser that I had before that which brings back the most smiles.

My purple 60's Schwinn Stingray I got for Christmas one year, brand new! (guess that shows how old I am) 2 speed kickback & we put a tall sissy bar on it. Could ride a wheelie for blocks. Must have rode that bike a thousand miles. Used it on my paper route, went off road, as well as all over town for years. It was my only mode of transportation for at least 5 years. Lots of memories on that bike! I think we sold it for $10 at a garage sale after I got my first car. If I ever see one in good shape again, I will buy it for my grandson & hope he gets as many miles & fun out of it as I did. :D 8)

There are a lot of bikes I wish I still had from my childhood, I know I have the sickness..... :lol: :mrgreen:
Dyno..... Got to love chrome
017.jpg

My chopper.... It was the first bike I built myself
chopper.jpg

16" Hoffman..... used to love tearing it up on this thing.
003.jpg

Schwinn Predator.... She was a beauty wasn't she?
3546457433.jpg

My Recumbent..... Fun to ride but couldn't refuse an even up trade for a '62 Corvair Greenbriar van project.
saw027.jpg

My old Skyway Tuff 2 wheels.... I have the perfect project for them now :roll:
001-1.jpg

GT Interceptor and Performer..... first bike I restored and the performer was just nice to cruise
P1310007.jpg

And although not a "bike" I miss my old Indian Moped the most.... only had 300 original miles when i got it, had 600 before I sold it.....still kicking myself but I couldn't refuse two VW Jetta projects for it. and one was a 2 door coupe!!! Till then I didn't know they made a 2 door Jetta coupe! :mrgreen:
003.jpg

I still have both of the bicycles I had as a kid - an early '80s Huffy Rawhide and a late '80s Kia BMX. To me, the Kia was really cool because it had aero covers on the wheels and green tires. The tires only lasted so long (leaving green skid marks shortens their life!), but I recently ordered a new pair from Amazon...

The only bike I had as a kid that I miss was a Honda CT70. Gave it to my cousin when I got "too big", and he sold it afterwards.

Wish I still had my Iverson Mini Indie. It was my first new bike but it was stolen years later. I just picked up a '65 Collegiate 5 speed. I had one of those also, but was hit by a car on it and it was destroyed. I did build a CT-70. Always wanted one as a kid but never got one.
miniIndie-1.jpg

Oh man. I've had this conversation - with myself - a million times, so I know these answers with no hesitation...
My '66 Coppertone StingRay, for sure. My first cool, "big kid" bike (no training wheels attachments for that one!), and to me, it was absolutely beautiful. Washed it regularly, and took care of it like my dad would with a new car.
Then, my '70 Sears Screamer. Oh mannn...it was the bltchin-est thing in the neighbourhood, made StingRays and Krates look like old jalopies. Butterfly handlebars, 5-speed shifter on the double top tube, rear suspension, double rear handbrakes (who needs a front brake to skid???), fat rear slick, speedometer, head and tail lights, rear turn signals...it just didn't get any cooler. To think I sold it - in pristine condition - without a second thought for the opportunity to buy a 10 speed a couple of years later still kills me.
I keep trying to find one to replace it in decent condition, but no luck so far. Either they're completely thrashed, or no one wants to part with the nice ones they have!
You can see it in the background here behind my skinny 13 year old butt sitting on my uber-cool Suzuki Scrambler :mrgreen: :
scan0001.jpg

And here's a better shot of one for those that aren't familiar (not mine, I believe this belongs to a member here):
SearsScreamer2.jpg

HA! Yeah, that picture is pretty embarrassing, but hey - it's part of my history! :lol:

Hammond Eggz said:
HA! Yeah, that picture is pretty embarrassing, but hey - it's part of my history! :lol:

what's embarrassing about it? You're sitting on a sweet Suzuki scrambler with an awesome screamer in the background.

what's embarrassing about it? You're sitting on a sweet Suzuki scrambler with an awesome screamer in the background.[/quote]

:lol: :lol: And a Sweet pair of shoes! 8) 8)

My first bike was a mid 60's JC Penney Swinger 20". I miss it just because it was the first one. Over the years it went from the original lime green metallic to solid orange like the color of my favorite modified stock car racer in the day. It also went from a standard banana seat support to a full height sissy bar and back again. It started out with a cheater slick in back but eventually had a knobby rear. I did so many wheelies on it the stem was stripped and a gas station drilled through the stem and handle bars and fixed a bolt through them to keep it going for me. I'm more suited to a full size 26" cruiser today but I still think about that old long gone Swinger 20". :)

the very first bike i ever had- 1969 metalflake blue 3 speed stingray.

no pics of it just a well embedded memory is all.

Can't say I really miss my second hand rusty repaint 20" Canti, or the second hand rusty spider that replaced it, although I loved them at the time. Way too small and too slow. :|

Now that I think about it...My neighbor threw an old Schwinn out...I Assume it was a typhoon it was black...I cant remember...He said there was something wrong with the pedal. It rode awesome...Never liked it though.

I even rode my uncles old stingray which I hated...

Mine would be an old CYC Stormer BMX. I've had a couple of bikes before this one but it was the first bike I bought with my own money I saved up from delivering newspapers as a kid... then after a growth spurt in high school, It was 26" bikes from then on.

I missed my Huffy Cheater Slick......so I found another one :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back