TRADITIONAL Blue bike too

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took some time off of working on the bike to replace my kitchen floor and stove, now that’s done and my Thompson grips showed up today so I have all the parts I need to finish this bike, time to get back to work…View attachment 272112

I haven't seen the glitter Thompsons before. Very cool

Cut a stubby front fender, I goofed up the first cut so it’s a bit shorter than I intended, but I can live with it
IMG_5515.jpeg
then I chopped off the end of the bolt for tire clearance
IMG_5514.jpeg
mounted the front wheel for hopefully the last time, then my ten dollar slingshot stem
IMG_5516.jpeg
IMG_5517.jpeg
i wanted to use these handlebars but the fat part in the center is too wide for the bar clamps to fit, so I need to get a 7/8” handlebar and there’s none in my parts pile so I’m going shopping…
IMG_5518.jpeg
I had this much of the rear fender left after I chopped it up for another bike, and it’s just enough
IMG_5512.jpeg
some cutting and grinding, removing some dents and installing a couple on purpose, it fits
IMG_5513.jpeg
I had some blue valve caps in the pile, now I’m gonna go get some dinner
IMG_5540.jpeg
IMG_5541.jpeg

If you wanna shop the BACK40 parts bin,I might have what you need; cbeap too.

Lemme know,Schultzie.

Bob would be proud of your blunt fenders!

Jamming Bob Marley GIF by Universal Music Africa

If you wanna shop the BACK40 parts bin,I might have what you need; cbeap too.

Lemme know,Schultzie.
Thank you, I’m gonna see what’s in the shed after work Monday, I might swipe the bars off another bike for now

I’m not sure yet what I’m gonna use them on, might build a bike around them, I just got them cuz they’re so cool 😎
I’ve got a pair of the glitter ones too, I plan to build a bike around them someday too, something with some 70s ‘flavor’

Just watch your tire clearance. Another option is to notch out the fender for the chain. That is what @yeshoney did for the triple ducktail fenders he did for "Paint It Black". (Which I later used for SaltHammer).

View attachment 272484
I remember those fenders on their original bike, Pretty sure that’s what Joe was pulling the in- flight refueling trailer with… anyway I have plenty of tire clearance, these rims are narrow and the fenders are really wide
IMG_5551.jpeg
IMG_5554.jpeg
I also stole some 7/8” bars off a bike in the shed and installed the grips
IMG_5552.jpeg
IMG_5553.jpeg
I think my next project will be making a seat post, stay tuned…

I bought a crank with a 19mm spindle, so I got a bottom bracket to fit that size to an “American” bottom bracket shell View attachment 269895View attachment 269896Dan’s comp has great instructions with pictures for this installation View attachment 269898I wasn’t feeling the black crank arms so I hit them with some leftover paint from last years bike View attachment 269899and then some pedals View attachment 269900
Nice, i need this too, stopped riding my build of bike because it pedals so heavy.. i think i need to ditch the skiptooth though

Nice work on that laid-back seatpost

All 4 kickstands in my parts pile hit the crank, so I bought one of these
IMG_5572.jpeg
I don’t like having to lay the bike down or look for something to lean it on every time I stop. I did a light clean up of the head badge, I didn’t want to lose any more of the paint, that was the last part to install
IMG_5573.jpeg
IMG_5574.jpeg
then a very short test ride cuz it’s still too humid here, and I have a functional bicycle, and a couple weeks for it to cool off enough to take a good ride and get some pictures! Thanks again for the comments and suggestions, always a pleasure to build a bike with you guys, now when does the step-through build off start….
IMG_5575.jpeg

Greenfield stands are great. Congrats on another cool build!!
Great blend of parts and styles where it all works super well together and looks like it's gonna be a blast to ride.

Back