BMX Gyro upper cable

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is it possible to re-cable this thingamajig ?

The outer casing is a mess.

FF7166EF-3458-4659-8AAD-7AFCD8FEFEC0.jpeg

You can pull that black capsule apart and you will see the cables are nothing you can replace. The 3 cable wires are permanently joined in there.

Even the name brand gyro cable sets cables are poor quality with lots of friction.

I've done over 100 gyroectomys on bso free style bikes (Next, Mongoose, etc). The bikes are built like tanks and will last forever. But the gyros are so bad on the cheap bikes no kid has the hand strength to make the brakes work, even when new. Take the gyro stuff off and run straight brake cables and the brakes work fine. Loose the pegs too. Those have the nasty habit biting me in the shins. I take bikes that are designed to hurt kids and turn them in to regular bikes to sell or give to Toys 4 Tots. If you can do a tail-whip, that's what the gyro is for but a tail whip on a heavy bike? A painful way to break your ankle bones.

The boxmart freestyle bikes are very heavy duty (except for the brakes). Kids watch the pros on ESPN's X-games and think they can do those tricks. Well the pros aren't using cheap bsos. Their bikes are $1000 + chromo bikes designed for stunts and are far lighter weight. Many of the pros are so good they don't need brakes.

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking the same thing. I bought this bike for $10 and my plan is a quick tune up and donate it to charity. The brakes are terrible and I want the bike to last. The gyro just seems like a mess for some kid who just wants to ride a bike. It will be coming off. Hopefully that will help with the cheap brakes. I did have to order some new brake levers as the right was busted. The bike is branded "x-games". Best I can tell is is a department store bike. The frame seems really solid, but the parts leave a little to be desired.

Yeah, most of the frames are overbuilt on kids bikes. Sturdy ballast for the Chinese container ships.
You can reverse the cable adjuster stop and cable clamp bolt on the front brake caliper. They both bolt on and the holes in the arms are the same. That way you can route the cable in a normal direction. Be sure you keep the cable clamp bolt on the side of the lower arm where the cable runs in as straight line as possible. Cables work better when they don't have to turn corners.

It came off. Bike tuned up nice and will be donated. Of course I couldn’t bring myself to throw out the old gyro. I might need it someday. Ha. Actually it does have some nice barrel adjusters. They will get used.

It came off. Bike tuned up nice and will be donated. Of course I couldn’t bring myself to throw out the old gyro. I might need it someday. Ha. Actually it does have some nice barrel adjusters. They will get used.
I have a few busted ones laying around, just in case. I don't even know why, no intention of ever building a bike using one. I think there's some compulsion

Latest posts

Back