BOBBER SEAT CONVERSION?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HD (motorcycle) seat pans are metal. It has a hinge front mount and 2 studs (threaded) for springs in the rear. With a cross-brace and the right springs, it's doable.

Here's one that I mounted on a custom bike, so you can see the idea.....

Front mount with strap hinge:

IMG_4341.jpg

Rear with springs. Springs fit over studs from seat and held on with nut and washer.

IMG_4371.jpg

Thanks for those pics! :D

I'm wondering if anyone has ever welded the tabs to the pan that would allow a regular seat clamp to be used so you could mount it on a seat post.

i will look into this .. but am thinking might need to reshape seat pan .. to move your legs freely

You could make a "T" bracket that would bolt onto the seat either with or without the springs with a seatpost welded onto the tee

Rat Rod said:
I'm wondering if anyone has ever welded the tabs to the pan that would allow a regular seat clamp to be used so you could mount it on a seat post.

For my Build off bike, I'm planning on using the seat clamp turned 180 degrees and some bushings to pivot on.
Then build a frame to mount it on the fender bracket

Original seat setup
CWCseatoriginal.jpg

Mockup
CWCseatattachment.jpg

Not sure if that helps or not

the crazy electric straight 8 build thread just did a seat conversion. Not to mention all the RIDICULOUS AMAZING fab work on the front forks. It's intense.

[ Mockup
CWCseatattachment.jpg

while the eletrical tape looks good ... I would go with duck tape for a better hold.. :lol: you can get it in hello kitty now

Henry morgan said:
while the eletrical tape looks good ... I would go with duck tape for a better hold.. :lol: you can get it in hello kitty now
:lol: :lol:
Promise I'll have it better attached when done. The alternative sounds too painful :lol:
Kinda looking forward to making some brackets and they don't have to be too complicated

My wife got a big grin when I told her about the Hello Kitty duct tape,
Saw the gears in here head start to spin, thanks Buddy :lol:

Steve I built this one for my Street Skinney Typhoon.I made the seat and frame but its the same style mount as the motorcycle one. used the seat clamp as front frame mount.

dscf2424w.jpg

By xc204 at 2011-01-18

dscf2415b.jpg

By xc204 at 2010-12-31

dscf2417pu.jpg

By xc204 at 2011-01-08

dscf2411k.jpg

By xc204 at 2010-12-29

dscf2412h.jpg

By xc204 at 2010-12-29

hope this helps.

That seat is very comfey I have no leg extension on that bike but the seat is padded between the 2 layers of leather and I have ridden it to work 7.5 mi each way with no rear problems just my knees.

dscf2416.jpg

By xc204 at 2010-12-31

same type backbone little dif mount

dscf2793v.jpg

By xc204 at 2011-09-22

dscf2794l.jpg

By xc204 at 2011-09-22

dscf2834i.jpg

By xc204 at 2011-10-21

i kinda made one, but i used a single mountainbike shock for a spring

hoodcruiserseat001.jpg

hoodcruiserseat002.jpg

i'm working on a second one that might look a little closer to it (closer to the shape. still one spring but without the back rest and water bottle) . i've been riding on it but broke a weld. i'll take a pic when i put it back togeher.

the second one

bikes001-23.jpg

bikes002-13.jpg

bikes003-7.jpg

bikes004-5.jpg

bikes005-3.jpg

both were exercise bike seats where i got rid of most or all of the framework and made my own. i guess you could do the same with a bobber seat if you wanted that exact shape. i have to say though, my seatpost being angled back so far makes this easier (the second was really for a more upright seatpost but i couldn't work it out). you'd probaly need a much shorter spring like off a kids bike or something.

Back