TRADITIONAL BONINETen

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The wife decided ahe didnt want guilding on the wheels.

20240621_182050.jpg

20240621_182054.jpg

The Front wheel is together.

I second the Chad-ster ^^. That lace job has a nice open look for all the spokes you have in there. And your wife has made good cosmetic decisions on bike builds in the past if I recall. The dark rim really shows off the spokes!

That looks awesome! Really like how they are paired instead of one big wall of spokes. Nice job with the maths. 🤓
Thank you Chad. I like how the 29er worked out. The math will come in when I start lacing the back spokes.
I second the Chad-ster ^^. That lace job has a nice open look for all the spokes you have in there. And your wife has made good cosmetic decisions on bike builds in the past if I recall. The dark rim really shows off the spokes!
Yes, 72 spokes on the front with a nice open look. The 29er hoops are the first pair of a run of 100, that I liked up fro Juan ( Penguin ) the president of Artistic Cruisers here in Las Vegas.
20240622_152741.jpg

Yes, you are right, my wife does have an eye for style and coolness, and has helped with build decisions in the past. Plus, the trike is for her, so extra important not to hear later, I told you so. 🤣

A lot of work happening this week on my day job and also on the cart, dealing with Lithium Iron Phosphate...

Ive had little time for the trike the last few days. Plus to hot in the afternoons to be outside. Cooled down today, it was only 109 degrees at 5pm instead of 115 yesterday and 111 the day before.

I am in agreement with @Chad T and @OddJob on the open 72 spoke layout on the front wheel and wish to replicate it on the back.
20240625_171950.jpg

I simplified the math. I plan to drill 36 new sets of holes and took the OD measures todo so. I need some 1/2 or 3/4 masking tape to properly space from the edge. The old holes will stay. Maybe a candidate for LEDs later on.

That sounds like a killer plan! Have you tried to figure a way to do that pattern with the existing holes? More math. Can’t wait to see them fat hoops rollin’ on the trike.

109= too hot. Been mid nineties here for a week.

Love how the front wheel turned out. Look forward to seeing the rear put together and installed too.

Dude! First, stay cool and hydrated.
Then, drill on~! 😁
Been trying. Summer here is like subzero in cold.states. Stay inside. Difference is hydrate to go outside and stay a little damp or get in a pool

That sounds like a killer plan! Have you tried to figure a way to do that pattern with the existing holes? More math. Can’t wait to see them fat hoops rollin’ on the trike.

109= too hot. Been mid nineties here for a week.
109 feels better on me than shivering into arthritis pain at -5.

The way I figured todo the pattern was drill new holes and possibly use the existing for another purpose.

Can't wait too.

Love how the front wheel turned out. Look forward to seeing the rear put together and installed too.
Thank You Kingfish. Hopefully together by the end of the week or on the weekend.

Been a busy couple of weeks.
Work deadline, household stuff, appointments, hot hot in the evenings.

Was able to finish up that free golf cart in time for the 4th parade. After battery, time and paint, twas nowhere close to free... but. Can tell I'm getting older... Excited to have a cart.
20240426_062501.jpg
20240426_165141.jpg
20240618_181509.jpg

20240704_122742.jpg
20240704_122733.jpg
20240704_122755.jpg

The trike is not forgotten.
Gathered a drum brake and a 8 speed freewheel for it and dug out some paint.
20240706_171423.jpg

20240706_173711.jpg

Chain should be here mid week as well.

I have one wheel marked and punched and need to drill holes. So that I can make sure on the spoke lengths and get them ordered.
20240706_175407.jpg

Still need to figure out a few details, like brake cable mounting. And i need yo widen the fork to mount the front tire properly...

20240706_180105.jpg

That golf cart turned out slick. I imagine the battery set you back a bit.

nice work on the gold cart.
Looking forward to those big fatties on the trike.

That golf cart turned out slick. I imagine the battery set you back a bit.
Thanks Oddjob. It did, but I did end up getting a second one for free, as the first one they sent didn't work, so they sent one that did. They told me if I could get the top off and figure out they would give the non working one to me rather than them pay to have it shipped to be destroyed. I cut the top off and the BMS was unplugged from one side of the pack. Plugged that back in and works perfectly. Glued it down on Friday and installed it.

nice work on the gold cart.
Looking forward to those big fatties on the trike.
Thanks kingfish, Me too. Cant wait to get this put together.

Balancing time and outside in the heat (119 yesterday). Jury duty today. Will see if they select me for whatever I am here for....

Yesterday, I added width to the fork and did a tear down on the rear to start getting the gears and brakes in place.
20240707_182810.jpg

Straighted out the cro9ked dropouts, no wonder it was was an eileen....
20240707_142150.jpg

This evening will get it sanded and ready for paint.

That crack looks rusty, so it was probably there before you played around with it.
Thanks @GeePig i fully agree. 👍

It was probably there before previous owner painted the red trike blue. Just showed up when I straightened the connecting dropouts.

Maybe the reason it was in the thrift store is cuz it leaned to the left and they didn't know how to fix it.

On the way back from Jury Duty today ( which ended today), I picked up hardware for the drum brake I picked up.

Those little 1/4" bolts would be difficult to center. Had they provided 5/16 I probably would have tried because they at least fit a hole on the drum side. 3/8 screw with a shallow lock nut fit just right. A little tight but tightened down center without having to mess with it.
20240709_181450.jpg

Also picked up a carriage bolt and nuts for one side of the brake band, and a coupler nut to drill for the brake line stop on the other side to mount at the next hole on the rear frame.

Got some time the last couple of days to quickly on a couple fo things.

A couplenof days ago, couldn't get the single speed freewheel off the adapter with the spanner tool. It's frozen on there. Picked one up.
20240711_203519.jpg

20240711_203625.jpg

Connected with my neighbor today to use his big drill press for wheel number one. I triple checked.the measurements after the double-check was off vy a few millimeters.
20240714_103502.jpg

20240714_103048.jpg

I hope to get some time this afternoon to try a couple sizes of spokes to confirm spoke length by partially lacing in a hub.

That’s just amazing. I can’t wait to see these wheels built up. 😎
Me too. Spokes are on the way.

This of course left me questioning what todo with two rows of 60 holes on a wheel that are extra....
20240715_174629.jpg

About 9 ft of EL wire should fill that in nicely for each wheel...

Back