TRADITIONAL BONINETen

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the pedals are too low, maybe the other springer might work. I noticed the spring was pointing upward. The upper bracket on the fork normally is flipped the other way, allowing the spring to face down and forward. Reverse that bracket and maybe the stance will be where you want it. Also, tightening the spring will lower the front slightly and move the front wheel slightly forward.

1718088979637.jpeg

When I first rode my trike on the street it felt like it was leaning but I later discovered it was just the crown of the road surface which becomes very noticeable.

On a related note I used some cheap handlebar cross braces to brace the axle. They also made it easy to get everything squared up.

View attachment 268984
Thanks. I appreciate the reply.

In this case they really are leaning to the left . That springer is wore out. Been wrecked, bent, straightened, abused and beat up. Steerer tube isn't bent. The one i cut off the typhoon was bent. But the fork tubes are. Hence the lean.

That's a really good idea for a stabilizer strut. Butting it into the bag of tricks for another time.

Last edited:
wow, those apes are really 1" diameter? The grips are in my car and will be mailed today. Thanks very much for the purchase.
Yup 1" motorcycle apes. Thanks for having them 👍

Art Ramirez saw these on the old typhoon after I led a ride at the 2020 nOBC and said. "Those 1" bars are the bars all these other bikes with apes are trying to mimic!" I had told him I was considering a different set of bars on the bike.

As a result, The typhoon had those bars on it except for a mockup or two until this last weekend.

HyIf the pedals hare too low, maybe the other springer might work. I noticed the spring was pointing upward. The upper bracket on the fork normally is flipped the other way, allowing the spring to face down and forward. Reverse that bracket and maybe the stance will be where you want it. Also, tightening the spring will lower the front slightly and move the front wheel slightly forward.

View attachment 268985
Thanks Wildcat.

The height of the head tube vs the upper fork tube length required it be flipped down to line up. It's going to be replaced. I want a 29er up front if I can. Still working out details.

Same with the rear wheels. Will be taking the 24s off and 26s in their place.

The wheel work may start this weekend.

Last edited:
Thanks Wildcat.

The height of the head tube vs the upper fork tube length required it be flipped down to line up. It's going to be replaced. I want a 29er up front if I can. Still working out details.

Same with the rear wheels. Will be taking the 24s off and 26s in their place.

The wheel work may start this weekend.
@Wildcat these rear wheels are the wheels I picked when @LeMad Hatter posted in the interest thread looking for fat wheels. Front is a 29er I bought from Juan last year. Half of a 1 of 100 run..
20240611_190927.jpg

Not in the current budget, but had picked.them up early.
20240611_191046.jpg

They have an odd hole count of 120, which I think I've figured out to handle with 60 or 120 spokes with a 144 spoke hub...

So that's a wide 29er for the front? I didn't know they made 29er fat tires.

I widened a generic springer for my 26 x 4 and added flanges at the bottom for the extra length. I used spacers and a longer through bolt. I made up a cage for 2 springs, but the original cage with one spring would work also, just add a couple spacers and longer bolts. Then I made the longer struts from flatbar.

11 Jun 24 b copy.jpg

So that's a wide 29er for the front? I didn't know they made 29er fat tires.

I widened a generic springer for my 26 x 4 and added flanges at the bottom for the extra length. I used spacers and a longer through bolt. I made up a cage for 2 springs, but the original cage with one spring would work also, just add a couple spacers and longer bolts. Then I made the longer struts from flatbar.

View attachment 269153
I've seen a few wide 29s on the front of some stretch cruisers in the last couple of years. When i got a chance to get a pair i jumped at it and it was a really good price.

The front at 80mm should fit with a couple of spacers on the fork pivot (If needed).

I've seen a few wide 29s on the front of some stretch cruisers in the last couple of years. When i got a chance to get a pair i jumped at it and it was a really good price.

The front at 80mm should fit with a couple of spacers on the fork pivot (If needed).
I took a look at some sites I have access to over here, no 29 x 4 tires or rims. I can't even find any 27.5.

I took a look at some sites I have access to over here, no 29 x 4 tires or rims. I can't even find any 27.5.
I'll be stretching some GT Smoothies that are 29x2.5 on the 80mm front.

The trike I helped Mike Brittain with in March had 29x3 or 3.5 cruiser styled tires on the back of it. Not sure where he acquired them from. Will ask him and find out.

Have an issue with the seat pan that I'm trying to fix. Bolt tore out for the sissy. Can't remove the skin easily.
20240611_152812.jpg

20240611_153422.jpg

May just throw the carriage bolt back in, take the hammer and Chisel and get it close, and stitch weld it all back together, with 30 minute gaps between zaps...
20240612_162458.jpg

Your bars remind me of the motorcycle bars I sold to @Dr. Tankenstein and he used for LowCo Liner.

20240612_223600.jpg

Have an issue with the seat pan that I'm trying to fix. Bolt tore out for the sissy. Can't remove the skin easily.
View attachment 269283
View attachment 269284
May just throw the carriage bolt back in, take the hammer and Chisel and get it close, and stitch weld it all back together, with 30 minute gaps between zaps...
View attachment 269287

I think that solution should work for you. Wouldn't you agree that there is not going to be a lot of shear stress on that mount. It's mostly just a vertical support.

Like a lot of things in life in did cooperate, just not in the way first envisioned.
Hehe, Yup, just needed to be coerced into cooperating.
Looking forward to your progress on this build.
Thanks Tallbikeman.
Your bars remind me of the motorcycle bars I sold to @Dr. Tankenstein and he used for LowCo Liner.

View attachment 269292
Those are some good looking bars as well. Great looking bike. Looks like a fun ride!

Loving the big wheeled trike build! That group of trike photos is inspiring. Wow!
I likethe boys cruiserframe up front.

Following....Rat oN~!

Back