Bottom Bracket Overhaul

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
udallcustombikes said:
Coffee can of gasoline. Always on hand in my garage and cuts the grease like nothing else. NO SMOKING!!!
OH, I see how it is....just shoot down my idea!!! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

udallcustombikes said:
Coffee can of gasoline. Always on hand in my garage and cuts the grease like nothing else. NO SMOKING!!!
Yeah, I was thinking about gasoline...but mineral spirits seems a bit safer. What about rubbing alcohol?(worked on skateboard bearings) I have a bunch of that laying around.

Gasoline provides the best solvency(?) for the money. But it stinks something awful so wear rubber gloves. At $3 per gallon it works comparable to lacquer thinner at $15 per gallon :shock: Mineral spirits at $8 or $10 per gallon doesn't work as well but smells a lot better. Diesel is very poor on old hardened grease and stinks also.

All the water soluble grease cutters, like dish detergent, include some acid. Given enough concentration and enough time, they will remove delicate plating and even etch the steel bearings and races. Don't ask me how I know this. :cry:

Also... http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35547

Well, got the guts pulled and found that some of the balls are missing from the retainers....further investigation found that 4 of them are stuck in the grease in the center of the shell...think it's time for a new set bearings. No wonder I was having trouble getting a good adjustment. I wonder how they came loose like that?? It's always something.

cruisehard said:
Well, got the guts pulled and found that some of the balls are missing from the retainers....further investigation found that 4 of them are stuck in the grease in the center of the shell...think it's time for a new set bearings. No wonder I was having trouble getting a good adjustment. I wonder how they came loose like that?? It's always something.

I've found this a number of times too, exactly as you describe. If everything looks acceptable with the bearings, races, and cups you can press the bearings back into the retainers and give it a test run.

cruisehard,
If you do go with new bearing you might want to change the cups and cones as well it any of them are showing much wear. It wont cost much more to replace everything and it will keep your from reducing the life of your new bearings. I've pasted a link to Sheldon Brown's site that explains the different crank TPI and bearing /cup sizes if you go this route. You may already know all of this, but then it may be helpful to someone who doesn't.

Cheers

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/opc.html

Back