Bought my first bike in 15 yrs! Project bike, Please help.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Walmart had a Huffy Millenia for 99.00. It's a 29er cruiser I snatched up hoping to convert into a fixed gear cruiser. I took some parts off with a multitool I bought at the same time.

y79k.jpg

Hard to tell from the pic but it's huge. Super light too it has an alloy frame.

Now for the problems with it, slipping quill, impact wrench nuts on rear hubs. I can't get the pedals loose either. I'd like to buy a new stem, grease up the parts I intend to keep and put some 700c weinmann dp18's on it. What's the average rear spacing on a newer Huffy cruiser?. How do I got those rear nuts off? Thanks guys, I'm super happy to finally contribute to the forums with my own bike. Thanks for having me!

Looks like good buying Onyxaxe! The pedals are usually undone using the little section right up against the cranks that has two flat surfaces on it, you will probably need a spanner to get to them, most multitools are a bit too wide to fit. I don't know what size they use over there, but here in Australia a 15mm spanner is the one you want.

The other important note is that one pedal is left hand thread (turns the other way to undo) I can't remember off hand which one it is though, usually becomes apparent pretty quickly... :wink:

Looking forward to seeing the modifications you do...

Luke.

lay a block of wood under the crank so that it can't move. (this is the key part).
put your wrench on the pedal and tap the wrench with a hammer.
left side, reverse tread, right side regular thread.

Thanks everyone, I've been winging it with basic wrenches and a multitool, but now I've gotta buckle down and get some bike tools. Will update :). I might have to move this to the builds section too.

Thanks. I think it'll look way cooler than a stock fixed gear.

I finally got the left pedal off (took half an hour with a wrench wrapped in an innertube). Money's been tight this month so It's on hold for now.

I decided to buy this bike : http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mot ... /track.htm

and part it out for this build. It's weird but it's always cheaper to buy a whole bike than it is to buy all new parts. I'm planning to build up the other bike later, but this will be my fixed gear/cargo/thingamajigger.

Sometimes if you have a stubborn pedal on a beater bike (not your dads aerocycle)..you can take a brass hammer and hit the crank arm directly on end and it will free the threads some. Learned that when i worked at an old bike shop 30 years ago :)

1beaglebaby said:
Sometimes if you have a stubborn pedal on a beater bike (not your dads aerocycle)..you can take a brass hammer and hit the crank arm directly on end and it will free the threads some. Learned that when i worked at an old bike shop 30 years ago :)

Thanks. If I go this route again I'll have to try that. I got a full aerobics course doing it the other way lol.

When working with the pedals , it always helps me to remember they tighten forward (pedaling forward keeps them tight) and loosen to the rear . Once you get them off, put a little grease on the threads . I've always applied a little hammer to the wrench while holding the crank arm to loosen , when stuck. FatTires

Since money was tight I decided to try to use the stock wheels and upgrade the rest. I greased the coaster hub, put on the 700c tube I ordered and surprise!. It's a 29er but the wheels aren't 622 so the tires and tubes I ordered for it don't fit. Back to plan A. I also picked up a Motobecane Grand Touring off craigslist. It needs some work, will start a new thread in the builds section later.

You've done the most important thing right already - you decided to get a bicycle, make it into your own and RIDE IT! Congrats. Just keep at it, it will change your entire life and the planet.

If I might suggest a next step- don'tbuy anything from wal mart ever again. Anything.

Just found out that the wheels are 622. I learned a bit about tire sizing. The Huffy Millenial uses 28 inch tires or very fat 29ers. My 700c x28's just swam around the middle. The interior rim width is 30mm. Will try the Rubena v99's but this project is a long way from done. Will update later.

I think wider 700c will fit fine. I'm far from a authority on this stuff but I can remember reading many online threads where people used 700c tires on their 29" bikes. My guess is your problem was 700c tires that were way to narrow. Something a fair amount over 30mm width should work but I'd verify that via someone more knowledgeable than myself.

Sounds like your in the boat I was just in.
I have a 29er that after a bit o math I found the most narrow tires that would safely fit were 700x38.

Mine came with 29x1.95 tires (700x50).

Based on you saying you have a 30mm inside rim width the minimum tire for you would be 700x42.

I have run skinny 700 x 23 on "29er" rims! They are hard to bead and look silly, but it works! Much like mini trucks of the 80s, the sidewall gets pulled tight, no or little flex when turning! The bad here is rim overhang, and flat spots!
Also, I have run the opposites, skinny rim with big fat rubber.

Back