Brooks flyer saddle?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I came across a really good deal for a brooks flyer saddle, basically a B17 with springs. Would this saddle be comfortable enough with my straight 8 or will this only work with road bike geometry?

I'm gonna be picking it up after work today....so quick responses are highly appreciated

My Flyer is my favorite saddle ( I have 4 or 5 Brooks). I have it on an older MTB geometry. It works well when the saddle is the same height as the handle bars or lower. The cruiser geometry of the the Straight 8 sits you more upright, so a wider saddle may be neccessary. It may be okay on the Electra Straight 8 depending on your body and riding style.

Right now I have apes on the straight 8 and I need to get a payback seatpost. I'm also considering switching out to clubman style bars. Honestly, the saddle is only 40 bucks so I'm thinking I should just pick it up anyways....worst case scenario I put it on my road bike or keeP it for the future

irishexpat said:
Right now I have apes on the straight 8 and I need to get a payback seatpost. I'm also considering switching out to clubman style bars. Honestly, the saddle is only 40 bucks so I'm thinking I should just pick it up anyways....worst case scenario I put it on my road bike or keeP it for the future

I would buy it just to have. But I am certified Brooks addict.

So I got it. $45 NIB with proofide as well.

It is quite a bit less plush than the stock electra cruiser seat....but my road bike has taught me that less is more when it comes to saddles. Rode it around a bit, it was comfortable enough but not "comfy." I definately need the layback post now, another 3-4 inches would be perfect. Ill shoot some pics of it later.

So I took it off my cruiser. It was too narrow and uncomfortable. Last night I put it on my road bike. It was magical. I get it now. I still haven't proofided it and it's so comfy already. I just had it on the wrong bike :)

From my experience, I can say that the Straight Eight saddle or any of the Electra Comfort XL models are going to be hard beat on a forward pedal cruiser. The only saddle that I have found to be better on such bikes are the Brooks B190 or smaller B33.

Back