BUDNITZ BICYCLES

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dunno; that doesn't look like it could clear klunk-worthy tires....
Yeah, its for a 700c but you could probably get 35mm or 36 on it (1.4 inches), more like a cyclecross. OK for everything except sand, not the best and of course it would not be as cool looking. I wonder if 26 X 1.75 would fit? Still too much $ for me.

That BB would be looooooow if you ran 26x1.75"....

As long as we're discussing expensive pseudo-cruisers, who else here thinks Don McClung makes the hottest things on Earth?

Dead thread revival. I stumbled across this thread when I was trying to find out if anyone here knew anything about Budnitz. I found this current listing on The Big Auction Site: https://www.ebay.com/itm/184869664439?hash=item2b0b1736b7:g:p3QAAOSwJqlgEMb8

From reading previous posts in this thread, some of you have strong opinions about Budnitz, but dang! That's a nice looking frame. If the price was about half what they're asking, I'd be sorely tempted. Any chance there are any vintage frames out there with a similar appearance, and will take 650B wheelsets?

Dead thread revival. I stumbled across this thread when I was trying to find out if anyone here knew anything about Budnitz. I found this current listing on The Big Auction Site: https://www.ebay.com/itm/184869664439?hash=item2b0b1736b7:g:p3QAAOSwJqlgEMb8

From reading previous posts in this thread, some of you have strong opinions about Budnitz, but dang! That's a nice looking frame. If the price was about half what they're asking, I'd be sorely tempted. Any chance there are any vintage frames out there with a similar appearance, and will take 650B wheelsets?
Budnitz closed up didn’t they?

Almost bought some of there handle bars and a seat post on eBay some company bought up all their parts.
They were cool looking bikes and probably why I built this up not titanium but I'm fine with chromo.
IMG_1903.jpeg

I have a suspension stem, tried it, hated it. Riding was not too bad, but mounting and dismounting the bike was the horror. Replaced it with a regular one after one ride. There is a good reason why there never became popular, but being an idiot I had to find out why myself.

I have a suspension stem, tried it, hated it. Riding was not too bad, but mounting and dismounting the bike was the horror. Replaced it with a regular one after one ride. There is a good reason why there never became popular, but being an idiot I had to find out why myself.
But the newer integrated ones are pretty good

Suspension

Almost bought some of there handle bars and a seat post on eBay some company bought up all their parts.
They were cool looking bikes and probably why I built this up not titanium but I'm fine with chromo.View attachment 163356
Very nice. I was out riding my 1999 Specialized Crossroads cro-mo SS with my wife this morning, and it struck me the resemblance between the old Crossroads and the Budnitz.

Bless me, but I'm going to be sleeping in the garage: I caved and bought the Budnitz Alpha aluminum & CF cruiser. This is one of the best looking frames I've ever seen. The swoop reminds me a lot of my 1999 Specialized Crossroads Sport, which I was riding this morning with my wife. The frame is highly customizeable, and comes stock with sliding dropouts - no more chain tensioner! I'll swap all my 650B stuff from the heavy steel Big Red frame, and bid that bike adieu. I just hope my order doesn't get canceled due to "lack of inventory". I really wasn't planning to go all "new school", but over many hours of searching through hundreds of listings of vintage frames, I found not a single frame that fit my requirements. Here's a promo shot I found.

Budnitz Alpha.jpg

Mine is a VanDessel Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. the bars are Jones bars .
Chromoly frame and fork it's a do anything frame mountain gravel what ever .
Mine is more of a city bike might change it to a belt drive someday .
The only thing titanium on this bike is the bottle cage .
There are actually number of frame makers out there that make this style frame .

I have a set of the Jones bars that I'll be using. I like your idea of the wrapped bar, but I plan to use black tape. Cromoly would have been my first choice, and I did find a few frames I liked in my size, but none of them would accommodate the wheelset I plan to use in the Budnitz. There was an orange Budnitz cro-mo frame I saw, but it was more than twice as expensive as the one I selected. Mine will be used mainly for riding bike paths and tooling about side streets.

Back