BUILD OFF #7 DISCUSSION

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KOTA said:
Wider stays, extended dropouts, adding sidecars, flipped frames...It's ALL been done before. If Steve or a moderator hasn't contacted you, and said UH_UH. Then you must be good to go. If you think someone violated the rules, just don't vote for them! Everything mentioned above, I think is ingenious. Anyone can do it.
Good Luck to everyone!

Stock frame
001-3.jpg

GEOMETRY changed
BBO23-1.jpg
and , might I add , ... JUST BUILD SOMETHING AND HAVE FUN

Peatbog said:
So, banana seats aren't allowed?

:mrgreen:
No...PINK rims aren't allowed.....Although "we" know someone that could add those to (ahem) their collection. :lol:

KOTA said:
Wider stays, extended dropouts, adding sidecars, flipped frames...It's ALL been done before. If Steve or a moderator hasn't contacted you, and said UH_UH. Then you must be good to go. If you think someone violated the rules, just don't vote for them! Everything mentioned above, I think is ingenious. Anyone can do it.
Good Luck to everyone!

Stock frame
001-3.jpg

GEOMETRY changed
BBO23-1.jpg

Pretty much sums it up in my eyes.

There's one build that kinda bothered me at first but it wasn't because of frame mods, it was because I "felt" like I had seen the finished bike before. I couldn't remember where and I can't prove it, so I'm not going to let that ruin what I enjoy, which is building bikes.

The way I see it the rules are for me. It's a challenge for me. I will not cheat to win. If I lose to someone who cheated, it has no effect on me.

I struggled with the rear springer I'm doing, If I wanted to use the design that I felt flowed best, it was (and is ) going to be non-functional. Why? Because to do it right I will have to cut the frame. I will do it eventually, but not for the build-off. NO big deal, gives me something to do later...

Sorry for the run-on, Have fun and build something! Rg

There was one bike that was submitted that Steve put an end to as it already was a built bike, that happened in the first week. If there is one that is still going, let me know through PM and I'll do some snoopin! :mrgreen:

raggedjim said:
Snoopy! I will have to go back through to remember which it was, and I hate to falsely accuse someone on an unfounded feeling...

Not me... watch this!

Hey RaggedJim, I just talked to a painter who said he painted your chainguard for you and you paid him, he also knows the guy who's been doing some welding on your frame and he said it use to be a girl's frame before the frame modifications! You're outta here!

See, I have no problem falsely accusing people. :mrgreen:

I see that there are a few guys that are painting their bikes already even though they still have some fab and other work to do. I can't imagine doing that because I know I would bang and nick and screw up the paint as I was fitting stuff to the bike.

If anyone saw my Fugsley build, paint was the absolute last thing (except grips yg :p ). I just want to make sure that I am finished with all of the fitting of the complete bike and then I plan to break down the bike and start painting.

What are your thoughts on this?

yoothgeye said:
raggedjim said:
Snoopy! I will have to go back through to remember which it was, and I hate to falsely accuse someone on an unfounded feeling...

Not me... watch this!

Hey RaggedJim, I just talked to a painter who said he painted your chainguard for you and you paid him, he also knows the guy who's been doing some welding on your frame and he said it use to be a girl's frame before the frame modifications! You're outta here!

See, I have no problem falsely accusing people. :mrgreen:

Those guys ain't talkin', they are swimming with the fishes... mi familia, Rg

kingfish254 said:
I see that there are a few guys that are painting their bikes already even though they still have some fab and other work to do. I can't imagine doing that because I know I would bang and nick and screw up the paint as I was fitting stuff to the bike.

If anyone saw my Fugsley build, paint was the absolute last thing (except grips yg :p ). I just want to make sure that I am finished with all of the fitting of the complete bike and then I plan to break down the bike and start painting.

To quote a great man "It's like wiping before you poop..."

yoothgeye said:
There was one bike that was submitted that Steve put an end to as it already was a built bike, that happened in the first week. If there is one that is still going, let me know through PM and I'll do some snoopin! :mrgreen:

Hi! I know this guy quite well - we ride together in the Circle City Cruisers. He is not very active on this site as he's usually out doing his thing which is painting pretty stuff on cars, motorcycles, helmets, etc (pulls lines). His intentions of joining the buildoff had nothing to do with deception, he was totally unfamiliar with what we are doing here and had never read the rules. I was unaware he was even going to join in - he had never mentioned it. I just wanted to clear up what might have been a misperception. To the best of my knowledge no one has deliberately cheated in this buildoff so far and if all goes well it will stay nice clean fun. Thanks for hearing me out. Robert

Road Master said:
yoothgeye said:

Hi! I know this guy quite well - we ride together in the Circle City Cruisers. He is not very active on this site as he's usually out doing his thing which is painting pretty stuff on cars, motorcycles, helmets, etc (pulls lines). His intentions of joining the buildoff had nothing to do with deception, he was totally unfamiliar with what we are doing here and had never read the rules. I was unaware he was even going to join in - he had never mentioned it. I just wanted to clear up what might have been a misperception. To the best of my knowledge no one has deliberately cheated in this buildoff so far and if all goes well it will stay nice clean fun. Thanks for hearing me out. Robert

Thanks Robert, I saw his and I think he handled it well. The build I was talking about wasn't his. Tell Steve to get a new bike and jump in! It ain't too late! Rg

Xcruiser said:
KOTA said:
Good Luck to everyone!

Stock frame
001-3.jpg

GEOMETRY changed
BBO23-1.jpg

Pretty much sums it up in my eyes.
X2

kingfish254 said:

That's my exact strategy from now until the end of time. There's always something that doesnt work, usually in the bottom bracket/headtube area.
Sidehacked! got a preliminary coat of Rat Black, but most of it will get removed or used as primer. I just had too many welds to cover up!

Here are last years finalists as commemeorated on the bonus RRB Build Off Beer trophies I made (with graphics assitance from Petrohead).

WP_000177.jpg

The only other one of these limited craft brews was the BEER RUN - Uncanny Rat Stout which I had made since I own the Kingfish Bottling Co.

WP_000180.jpg

Back