"Building a welding JIG first" - design process and thoughts

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That roller looks like an improvement over the HF model.
In what way John? I am eager to learn :thumbsup:

I'm taking you guys along on the journey:

I just contacted a brazing company if they are willing to braze a frame I have got and learn me the details and tooling that are involved with brazing.

Community Reaction GIF

1722976124961.jpeg

One of the biggest improvements for the HF roller (usually from SWAG offroad) is widening the bottom two rollers, which helps with larger OD tubing (1.5-2.0') as the narrow rollers as HF stock don't have very effective leverage. Having different slots to use should help with that as well as with creating different radii of curves.

The down pressing screw powered by a two-handed crank vs. a 3/4' wrench will help with leverage. (SWAG offers a mod that allows a hydraulic bottle jack, FWIW.)

The gauge to show you how far down you've moved the top roller will help with repeatability. I've been marking the screw with sharpie on my HF roller.

The crank handle instead of the ship's wheel has to be better, if for no other reason than storage, but it looks like it is keyed instead of held with a set screw on flats (one of the weakest points with the HF set.)
1722976214588.jpeg

Yes, SWAG has a lot of upgrades that can make the HF roller quite good, and a variety of dies that work with their upgraded arbor/axle (?), but the dies from HF are pretty low quality and only 3 sized (1", 1-1/2", 2").
The set screws are just a bad design.
Searching a pic of the HF roller, I saw a Grizzly Industries version that looks similar to yours, though lacks the gauge and the crank handle attachment looks different.

1722976981072.jpeg

and at the current price of $549 USD, is a better deal than the HF roller with upgrades, esp considering the cost of the SWAG dies, --- but I haven't looked into the cost of this machine's dies or the weaknesses or flaws. --- but I will look into them and may be tempted to change course depending on what I find.

edit... there seems to be a simplicity and ACCESSIBILITY to the lower dies that far outshines the HF. They are a pain to change. The top one is too. And lining up the set screws to the axle flats...

edit 2: ... and see how your's and the Grizzly have a flange that can be clamped or screwed down to a bench for stability? hmmmm...

Last edited:
View attachment 276816
One of the biggest improvements for the HF roller (usually from SWAG offroad) is widening the bottom two rollers, which helps with larger OD tubing (1.5-2.0') as the narrow rollers as HF stock don't have very effective leverage. Having different slots to use should help with that as well as with creating different radii of curves.

The down pressing screw powered by a two-handed crank vs. a 3/4' wrench will help with leverage. (SWAG offers a mod that allows a hydraulic bottle jack, FWIW.)

The gauge to show you how far down you've moved the top roller will help with repeatability. I've been marking the screw with sharpie on my HF roller.

The crank handle instead of the ship's wheel has to be better, if for no other reason than storage, but it looks like it is keyed instead of held with a set screw on flats (one of the weakest points with the HF set.)
View attachment 276818

Yes, SWAG has a lot of upgrades that can make the HF roller quite good, and a variety of dies that work with their upgraded arbor/axle (?), but the dies from HF are pretty low quality and only 3 sized (1", 1-1/2", 2").
The set screws are just a bad design.
Searching a pic of the HF roller, I saw a Grizzly Industries version that looks similar to yours, though lacks the gauge and the crank handle attachment looks different.

View attachment 276819
and at the current price of $549 USD, is a better deal than the HF roller with upgrades, esp considering the cost of the SWAG dies, --- but I haven't looked into the cost of this machine's dies or the weaknesses or flaws. --- but I will look into them and may be tempted to change course depending on what I find.

edit... there seems to be a simplicity and ACCESSIBILITY to the lower dies that far outshines the HF. They are a pain to change. The top one is too. And lining up the set screws to the axle flats...

edit 2: ... and see how your's and the Grizzly have a flange that can be clamped or screwed down to a bench for stability? hmmmm...

I see what you mean and the points you mentioned there.
The HF roller indeed has the rollers quite close together. thought the wheel was quite handy, but you mentioning the 'handcrank' on my roller in regards to storage, I get it :thumbsup:

And thanks for showing me the Grizzly roller. I decided to search it on the interwebs and I found out that Grizzly sells exactly the same machine. The Grizzly 60mm pipe bender is a match on my machine.
Mine is from HBM-machines .

1. The Grizzly website instantly gives options for more rollers to buy. While I contacted my supplier, HBM and they said they don't have rollers available... Rollers are hard to find in my country.
  2. The Grizzly machinery is a 1:1 match with some machines in webshops in my country. Just a different colour coating.

I also contacted a lot of machine shops that sell bending machines:
HBM bending machine link
Grizzly bending machine link
(almost the same, at least same design)

Only thing is: Many shops don't know if their machines are for tubes or pipes.
Sometimes you can see a picture of the casing of the machine that says 'pipe bender'.
There is a significant difference: Pipes are measured from the inside and Tubes are measured from the outside.

A few comments back, you mentioned limiting your tubing sizes, in order to be able to limit necessary tooling. I very much have done this. I have a very nice bender now that I purchased only in 7/8", so that now all of my bars and stays are always in that size. I can do more variety on the roller, as I have dies for 1", 1 1/4", and 1 1/2".

A few comments back, you mentioned limiting your tubing sizes, in order to be able to limit necessary tooling. I very much have done this. I have a very nice bender now that I purchased only in 7/8", so that now all of my bars and stays are always in that size. I can do more variety on the roller, as I have dies for 1", 1 1/4", and 1 1/2".
Thank you Deven 🤩
I noted the same thing: 22mm / 7/8" for the stays. Also possible for bars.
I promise I won't copy your builds :grin:

Hmm. I can't find any Dutch company that is able to get rolls / dies for the roller.
I contacted Grizzly (thanks for that tip @SkyknightJohn !!) and they are happy to sell them to me, just not ship it to the Netherlands.

Hmm, one way or another, I'm aquiring rollers for the machine :forum:

More updates:
  • I sold a few bikes on marketplace and got a new network in bike-land. Selling projects is hard, but necessary for the money and space right now.
  • I disassembled my first project for the welding jig: Electra Ratrod. I will lengthen it. I will decide the length when the frame is in the JIG. Great first learning project.
  • The JIG is in my shed right now. I'll have to think about practicality: How work work with limited space and utilize some clever solutions.

The Electra Ratrod:
20240808_204239.jpg

20240808_204245.jpg

Cut here (after proper measurements)

20230724_170253.jpg

Original looks.

150mm lengthened.jpg

Original2.jpg

A few measurements how much the seat will drop, depending on how much I will lenghten the frame.
800-something millimeter is the centre of the BB to the top of the seat.
The horizontal measurements are the lengths from the seat straight down to the BB.
You can see here if I lengthen the frame 150mm, the seat will drop 108mm. I think the bike looks pretty different after such a customization.
I'll have to see if the modification looks good with the curved top tube.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back