Built for a King.. Size (done)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I'm nearly finished wrapping up my Schwinn American King Size rat/rebuild. Just need to get some tires and mount this old Miller generator. This was my first build and I learned a LOT both from experience and the very helpful members of this forum, thanks to all.

Before any work
5e95f25h13k53l23p3c4k6b.jpg

I removed all rust and repainted the frame and fenders. I opted to leave the chain guard original just in case.. I changed the seat to a rusted old seat from a 50's Panther and also took the "folk goose neck" from the same bike to incorporate some smoother, non-chrome lines. I removed all rust from the original wheels and am waiting to find tires/tubes for the finishing touch. I'll post the finished product here but I'm so close now that I had to start the thread earlier.

img0475ct.jpg

img0476wf.jpg

img0477qa.jpg

img0478ow.jpg

Re: Built for a King.. Size

Aros Kustom said:
This will be a sweet ride, like the seat, perfect "age", gets in line with the rest of the bike. Nice job!

Thanks! I just spent a good amount of time finding/ordering some tires (white walls) to fit these S-7 wheels. Can't wait!

Good looking ride 8) :mrgreen: !!!

largek9 said:
Lookin cool those king size frames are hard to find,That seats killer.Whats up with the fork? :)

It's with a small amount of embarassment that I'm able to answer your question twice:

The forks aren't painted yet but will be; I have to weld some cracks where the bottom of the head tube meets the crown.

Once the fork/crown area is squared away, you're going to enjoy that KSA. The old saddle has the look, but I'd start looking for a 2nd one, maybe an older mattress saddle or brooks, 'cause you will find yourself wanting to ride your KSA again and again and... I put almost 1000 miles on mine last year.

Looks great, especially for a first build. Keep up the good work, and keep us posted!

Hey everyone, just finished my first ever build. Here's the final product.

dsc01516d.jpg

dsc01517o.jpg

scaled.php

I don't know if I'll keep the seat, as much as I like riding this it's a bit uncomfortable.

Nice!
Tire choice is spot on.
My 2¢ = paint the chain guard black w/white lettering, and you're set! But that's me.
Like the clean look; let the bike's natural lines do the talkin'. This one would say "Elementary, my dear Watson", but the Guy Ritchie version... 8)

That's great bike, first build or not. Many of us remember our first builds, and wish we would have kept them, or remembered what happened to them.

The king refers to the rare Schwinn kingsize cantilever frame. I think it was just a year or two back in the early 60's they offered it on a couple models. It's a size bigger than all the rest they made. I have extra funds set aside just in case I ever come across one for sale.

Great job!!!! Now you have been bit by the build bug,can't wait to see whats next! 8) :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back