Burled Wood JC Higgins Tank is HOME NOW

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingfish254

BUILD COOL BIKES AND HAVE FUN!!
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
Prepare to drool over the trade I made tonight with CWC. He had made this burled wood tank for a Higgins bike, but decided to go another direction and put the tank up for trade.

2013-02-26_22-28-36_941_zps3b2e5474-1.jpg

2013-02-27_15-43-41_422_zps99936337.jpg

This is the Higgins he made it for.

IMAG0490_zps4aed3dc7.jpg

I loved the craftsmanship of it and realized that I had a Higgins frame that it should fit. Solid trade for both of us.

Here is my Higgins. I am pretty sure it should work.

1950shigginsIMG_50091.jpg

Here are the additional photos that CWC sent me of the tank. I love the natural hole that goes through the tank. I am going to try to find a way to light that up with LED light. I also have some ideas on a hidden spring loaded way to secure the tank.

2013-03-01_18-19-53_539_zpsc547d91b.jpg

2013-03-01_18-20-13_126_zps453add2c.jpg

2013-03-01_18-21-22_827_zps5c744963.jpg

2013-03-01_18-21-30_553_zpsfe12148a.jpg

2013-03-01_18-21-35_161_zpsf148a70d.jpg

Re: Burled Wood JC Higgins Tank

My shop, it's such a mess :lol:

I do a lot of woodwork. I've seen burls like that with holes that people filled with resin that had chips of torquise in it then sanded it down flush and finished it. Looks great. I'll find a link to a "how to" if you want. Gary

I for one, would love to see that!
B607 said:
I do a lot of woodwork. I've seen burls like that with holes that people filled with resin that had chips of torquise in it then sanded it down flush and finished it. Looks great. I'll find a link to a "how to" if you want. Gary

CWC said:
My shop, it's such a mess :lol:

LOL!
Can't notice. Too busy looking at the tank.
That's kinda like Dolly Parton or Pam Anderson saying their makeup is bad. Didn't notice. :p

RatSphinx said:
I for one, would love to see that!
B607 said:

Please share!

scott brownsey said:
very cool wood and brass look great on bikes

Hmmm, I didn't think about using brass in some way for the mounting. Wheels are turning more now.

The stuff these guys use is called alumilite. http://alumilite.com/ProdDetail.cfm?Cate...te WhiteIt's casting resin. You mix powdered tourquise with it, or other colored mixtures. I've never done it. You need a pressure pot, which you could probably rig up. Here are a couple of pics of what they did. Go to the Wood Barter forum and ask around if you want more info. You might be able to find someone to do it for you.
http://woodbarter.com/ Gary
alumiliteresin2_zps8cfbcf61.jpg

turquoisemicapowderalumiliteresin_zps1b50366a.jpg

That is some cool stuff with the aluminite!
I think I like the open hole better though. Maybe get a JCHiggins logo, or badge, or lettering on a piece of metal and set it in the hole. Then light it up with LEDs. Kind of a shadowbox effect. Or maybe I'll get some litle tiny people and do a full Battle of Savannah diorama in there. :p

Linky, no worky.
B607 said:
The stuff these guys use is called alumilite. http://alumilite.com/ProdDetail.cfm?Cate...te WhiteIt's casting resin. You mix powdered tourquise with it, or other colored mixtures. I've never done it. You need a pressure pot, which you could probably rig up. Here are a couple of pics of what they did. Go to the Wood Barter forum and ask around if you want more info. You might be able to find someone to do it for you.
http://woodbarter.com/ Gary
alumiliteresin2_zps8cfbcf61.jpg

turquoisemicapowderalumiliteresin_zps1b50366a.jpg

dude! its been a week since you posted this.
did you get the "tank" yet?
sure looks cool

beatcad said:
dude! its been a week since you posted this.
did you get the "tank" yet?
sure looks cool

It's not hitting the road until sometime today or early next week.
But, my rusty Sears Screamer is out for delivery today!!!

CWC's masterpiece tank arrived today and I was not let down.
This thing is a beautiful piece of art!!!!

IMG_1861.jpg

IMG_1862.jpg

IMG_1863.jpg

IMG_1864.jpg

IMG_1865.jpg

IMG_1866.jpg

Got home and had to strap it to my Higgins frame. It's going to fit nicely.

WP_001320.jpg

WP_001321.jpg

WP_001322.jpg

WP_001323.jpg

WP_001324.jpg

cman said:
Very cool. Hopefully you have figured out a way to make it appear to float in place.

Hmmmmm, I could use fishing line running through it?

Latest posts

Back