buy or build?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I love building bikes 8) and i have bought a couple of already built bikes and just changed a few things to my taste. So how do you guys weigh in do you buy already built bikes or just build your own? Lately I have found a couple already built bikes for sale that i really like and are priced about what you would have in them building yourself. and also have found a pretty good project bike. i like the already built one better but i miss the satisfaction of building one myself... right now im torn i really dont want to end up with a collection that i didnt build. and the other hand tells me its still better than buying a felt or something that everyone has :| :?

I pretty much build all of my bikes. The only bike I didn't build was my carbon road bike. I even built my touring bike and have ridden it across seven states.

I have never seen a cruiser style bike that I liked off the shelf, so I just build my own

Wow. Great question! Im currently working on my third custom rat-cruiiser. I also .had
pondered that thought too......once! I continue to usually spend more on something i put
together than could buy with slight modification. Recently got an 80's cruiser scratched
and beaten up, then found a late 60's fork. I have the vision for a killer bike that should
run me over 225.00.. Nothing beats the satisfaction for the labor and creativity put into
an original custom rat creation that's a joy to ride and gets you looks!!

Right now I have two vintage bikes that I didn't build. I got them cheaper than it would have been to build them. One was bought from a good friend and is my style, I have changed a few little things and I do love these bikes. And now anouther friend has one for sale that is also my style but it is kinda unfulfilling when someone asks something about the bike and you have to say I bought it that way :roll: maybe I'm just over thinking it

I have never bought a built bike. (yet) If I did or do, I am sure I would have to change some things to make it my own. Basically the mindset that you have. I do enjoy the build, that's my favorite part, I love the headaches & trying to make something work that shouldn't! Knowing you, anything that you aquire, you will add the touches that will make it yours! So, I guess I'm with ya either way. 8)

You are right, it is much cheaper to buy a complete bike. It sounds like you have made a few changes already. Besides bikes are rarely ever done. That is what is fun about this hobby.

ndaway said:
I love building bikes 8) and i have bought a couple of already built bikes and just changed a few things to my taste. So how do you guys weigh in do you buy already built bikes or just build your own? Lately I have found a couple already built bikes for sale that i really like and are priced about what you would have in them building yourself. and also have found a pretty good project bike. i like the already built one better but i miss the satisfaction of building one myself... right now im torn i really dont want to end up with a collection that i didnt build. and the other hand tells me its still better than buying a felt or something that everyone has :| :?
Good point on something aquired from somebodyelse! If ya liked it enough to buy it and aint to
sure what to do with it, keep it and ride it until it tells you otherise..

Let me get this straight in my mind,

Built Bike- A bike where you built the frame, Set all the angles the way you want them, and then added all different Bike parts to suit your needs that were made from other Bike parts companies.

Bought Bike- Walk down to Bozo's Bike store and paid for a bike and walked out the door with it.

Customized Bike- Buy a Frame or another Built bike and change most of it to suit your needs. For example change fork, Tires, Seat, Misc custom stuff.

or is a Built Bike a Bike that you bought and changed the seat and fork?

In Hot Rod Cars these days most guys who say the built their Hot Rod Car. Really bought one and then took it into a shop and paid someone to build it for them. :)

honestherman said:
Let me get this straight in my mind,

Built Bike- A bike where you built the frame, Set all the angles the way you want them, and then added all different Bike parts to suit your needs that were made from other Bike parts companies.

Bought Bike- Walk down to Bozo's Bike store and paid for a bike and walked out the door with it.

Customized Bike- Buy a Frame or another Built bike and change most of it to suit your needs. For example change fork, Tires, Seat, Misc custom stuff.

or is a Built Bike a Bike that you bought and changed the seat and fork?

In Hot Rod Cars these days most guys who say the built their Hot Rod Car. Really bought one and then took it into a shop and paid someone to build it for them. :)

Some of my built bikes start from scratch, some start from a stock frame. I sometimes do change the seat and fork, but I have been known to use the original forks also... Sometimes I restore a bike (although some restorers will say I customized it), Sometimes I customize a bike (although some customizers will say I restored it).

If you need more help, let me know, and have fun!

Sorry, I just realized I'm off-topic. I don't have a problem with buying a bike. I would love to have a Felt Indy or Flying Sue, but I would still build my own, I enjoy the build as much as riding them (maybe even more)

Rg

raggedjim said:
I enjoy the build as much as riding them (maybe even more)
Rg

That is an interesting quote. When it comes to vintage bikes, I agree. I ride around 3K miles a year. I ride road bikes, I do weekend touring, I race time trails and I mountain bike....but I hardly ever ride my vintage bikes. I love working on them, I love building them, but the reality is that I am a cyclist for the health of it and given that I reid 5-6 days a week, that leaves little time for riding the vintage bikes.

I like the build- buying one is hard with the up front price its easier to build and pay as you need I am sure in the end the cost is the same but you get just what you want and its not the cookie cutter off the rack that everyone else could have its presonal.

Back when I working on my old Triumph 650 bobber,I realized I liked working on it just as much as riding..
I never throw wrenches or cuss much when working on 2 wheels...Cars on the other hand frustrate me to no end..
I reckon my story wold change if the car i was wrenching on was actually cool and not my daily transportation...
Lately though I've been pushing myself to ride at least 2 miles every night...

I love building my custom bikes and enjoy riding them. But ever since I got my Felt El Guapo, it has been my main ride 8) Once you ride something that doesn't shake, rattle, and roll it's hard to go back :lol: Don't worry though, I still ride the oldies too :wink:

SCHWINNRAY: Shake, rattle & roll??? That's the part I dig! :lol: Almost as much as building it! :mrgreen:

pick said:
SCHWINNRAY: Shake, rattle & roll??? That's the part I dig! :lol: Almost as much as building it! :mrgreen:

Sometimes mine shakes, rattle, and falls apart :lol:

deorman said:
Terry66 said:
I ride 5-6 days a week, that leaves little time for riding the vintage bikes.

:| You're doin' it wrong. :idea:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=22295&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15 :mrgreen:

Yeah, a skinny tire vintage ride is in my future! I just need to find the right bike. I want something REALLY old, maybe lugged?

I am off to put in a couple of hours on my road bike on the trainer. I rode like crazy in high school and my early 20s, then kids came along and I got lazy and fat. We're talking like 300lbs. I got back into cycling about 5 years ago. Dropped about 125lbs. Now I am addicted to riding, racing, touring or whatever else.

I like building and fabricating in general, so its what I do with bikes as well. Sometimes I dont get it, cause yes its probably cheaper in some situations to buy something together, but that leaves out a really fun part of the hobby for me.

Lets face it its cheaper the building a car but still uses all the same skill set!

Back