Cafe?? not sure

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanna bring up whats keeping me busy right now.
Still not sure what the end up would be, i don't even know what to name her(suggestions???) i'm just seeing it and doing it randomly. lol!! i wanted to have a close lenght with regular bike, but low, then i wanted to ride- biker's normal position- normal, not looking like recumbient.

Parts came from a ladies mountain bike(for rear end), and huffy cruiser(front end), the one i stretched/scraper, but ended up hard to ride, so i scrapped it. also found a metal/tubed chair for the 90 deg bents.

lots of hacking, lots of welding, gonna have lots of grinding too, lol!!! .... i suckkk on welding!!!
anyways, here it is.

DSCF1760.jpg

DSCF1771.jpg

2 pics right now..... :)
not using that seat, just there for visual.

thank you sir for the tip. i screwed up when i put the mid bar, i thought it would be fine looking like fast stance.
i'll bust out the grinder and rake it a bit tomorrow.

Maybe you already have a plan for the seat, but I throw an idea out there anyway. :) You could make and weld on a seat frame to the bike frame where the straightbar ends, extending that line. Then it would be easy to make a seatpan out of a piece of plywood and shape some foam and make a cover, and bolt that on to the seat frame. Made a real quick sketch to illustrate the idea. You'd probably want to play around a bit with the shape of the seat frame, maybe making it a a little longer or square it off, I don't know. Anyway, if you decide to go along the lines of making it a café racer, a seat like that could fit the theme. :)
sits.jpg

It's a nice looking build you've got going there! :D

thanks for the idea sir!! i will go that route, but will prolly tweek the design of the seat. its going to kinda look like a cafe seat, but i have still need to figure out how to make it proper and all.

By all means, do tweak it! Make it your own, that'll make it so much cooler! :D I probably would have tweaked it quite a bit too... :lol:

thank you for the response guys!!!
anyways, some crappy update on the built.
at this point, it looks like its steering away from cafe. it seems cafe and comfortable pedaling doesn't mix.
I manage to rake it, but ended up a little much from regular rake(compare to the firestone).
It is really hard when theres no cash flow around, i have to steal the fork from my 24's cheap mtb, grind the brake mounts, also modified the springs inside to get lower. also cut and weld a cheap mtb stem.
DSCF1803.jpg

DSCF1805.jpg

i wanted to make a seat like this,
DSCF1811.jpg

but when i tried(spot weld) a temp seat,
DSCF1807.jpg

it gave me an awkward biking position, so might need to move the seat farther back and a little high.
i'm thinking of a seat frame like this,
DSCF1803-1.jpg

but i wanted it with shock/spring, now i'm stuck on what to do. I'll appreaciate if you guys have a cheap idea :)

looks good :mrgreen:
as for the seat easiest cheapest way would be get a longer tube & bend it so it fits the curve of the tire and thatll raise you and bring you back more as well

id do something along these lines...
DSCF1803.jpg

or possibly one of those old dirt bike style seats. not quite a banana but similar. usually are pleated and black. you know what i mean?

thanks for the tips again!!! i will sure move the cranks a little forward, to keep the seat in the same place that i wanted, that means more grinding again :oops: .
wolfman, that seat to crank distance you point out is the best pedalling position, but i really wanted the seat in that spot between the mid bar and rear wheel, cranks will be moved forward.
expectations, not much. this will take long, and parts thrown is whatever is around. but i will change it in time, if theres a good find, but yeah it'll take long. :)

got motivated again, started the built again.
DSCF1816.jpg

DSCF1819.jpg

DSCF1820.jpg

it looks like i don't need to move the crank after all. just 3-4 inches thick of foam seat will raise me and have a good pedalling position.
just for test, i put a folded towel :)
DSCF1814.jpg

anyways, still long way to go, also need something to change about that handle bar :oops:

Those seatbraces go really well with the rest of the frame! Nice how they extend the line from that straight tube. :)

thank you sir!! the seat brace(top) will be covered when i fab the seat, kinda like having an under-hang, this will line up with the mid bar.
if in the future i find a skinny shock that will go to the seat brace(slant/vertical), i will modify the seat brace to move, bolt and plastic washer by where it meets the center tube(former seat tube).

Back