Can I use original headset with this fork?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now, if I get a straight bladed big bmx frame like this and it is designed for a caliper brake, what length brake would be proper. Would a 1080 be too long? I'm talking a fork for 26" wheels. Thanks again.

If I had to guess, i think a 1080 would be a good start, but it's a lot easier to just measure once you get the fork, and buy a caliper based on the required reach. Basically, you put the wheel in the fork, and measure the distance between the brake mounting hole and the middle of the rim's braking surface. Measure straight down from the hole to the plane that intersects the middle of the braking surface, not diagonal from the hole out to meet the rim on an angle.. Most brakes will be described in terms of reach using mm, so measue accordingly...

HTH
Rob

I hope you didn't by that fork in the picture! That fork tube is too long to fit a Schwinn frame. You won't have any threads left after you cut to length. Look for a similar one with about a 6-1/2" to 6-3/4" tube.

I hope you didn't by that fork in the picture! That fork tube is too long to fit a Schwinn frame. You won't have any threads left after you cut to length. Look for a similar one with about a 6-1/2" to 6-3/4" tube.

Nope. Read the description, and look again at the photo. The fork's steerer is 9 3/4" long, but has 6 inches' worth of threads, which means that you can cut it down to 6 1/2" and still have 2 3/4" of threads left, which of course is far more than enough.

Thank you! I was about to order it tonight!

So yeah, go ahead and order that fork if that's the price/style that you want. It will work; the biggest "problem" is that it can accept a 22.2mm stem, and your original stem is probably a 21.1mm. It will totally work, but some folks don't like the "gap", but Wald sells a shim for that, if you're concerned about that kind of thing. Search for Wald #905 Reducer Bushing... Or just run a 22.2 stem, if you'd like. :grin:

Latest posts

Back