CanTANKerous -- 1953 Roadmaster

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This was a build I originally slated for the WBO in 2018, but I never got past removing the saddle...how embarrassing. Anywho...the bike has been sitting in the queue for five years, awaiting another chance to shine. Same plan as the last attempt--cosmetics, with a few subtle updates. A warning in advance: I'm still not so great with the journal-writing.

68638-PICT0178.jpg

This was a build I originally slated for the WBO in 2018, but I never got past removing the saddle...how embarrassing. Anywho...the bike has been sitting in the queue for five years, awaiting another chance to shine. Same plan as the last attempt--cosmetics, with a few subtle updates. A warning in advance: I'm still not so great with the journal-writing.

View attachment 229933
Wait…. It’s not done? :21:

Killer starting point for sure.
Don't worry about the writing part, just post up pics of your experiment and progress so you can get to the "riding" part!

In the interest of complete honesty, here are photos of the bike and saddle as they appear minutes ago.

IMG_20230502_095538.jpg
IMG_20230502_095600.jpg

As you can see...no progress in five years! I'll be starting with the saddle, anyway, before I tackle that pile.

The bike itself is very complete, missing only its original truss rods, which had been removed to accommodate a basket. The brackets ARE there, however. Once the saddlery is complete, the house paint goes! Don't know what I'll discover underneath, but my plan has always been to repaint in a similar motif...blue & cream with orange pins.

The weather finally got warm enough and still enough to do some painting. The top pan turned out to be sturdy, but pretty dang rusty. The edge was the worst of it, and I decided to reinforce that with two layers of 3M aluminum tape. I'm hoping this will prevent the 'sawtooth' from wearing through the new cover, once it's installed. The tape certainly makes the transition smoother and won't be visible on the finished product.
IMG_20230506_102832.jpg

The lower pan and undercarriage are in much better shape. The Faulhaber stamp remains barely visible under the fresh coating.
IMG_20230506_102904.jpg

The padding that came with the blue cover is in surprisingly good shape for its age! I'll be using it again...perhaps with a half-inch layer of fresh foam below.
IMG_20230506_102956.jpg

I'm sure everyone will be relived to hear that I finally finished my saddle repair. I wasn't too pleased with the transitions between the various foam pads, so I decided to swaddle the whole affair with a layer of fiberfill gauze--that was the ticket. Job done...on to the accessories!

IMG_20230523_132439.jpg
IMG_20230523_134619.jpg

Tore the house apart looking for my box of bullet lamps. I have three candidates, each with their pluses & minuses. The ones with the best chrome have minor dents, but I'm leaning toward the center one, which is badly pitted. Pitted, yes...but it also has GILLS! I could fill and paint that one to match the bike! The chrome on the bezel is A-OK and more than enough shine for the finished build.

IMG_20230524_202641.jpg

BONUS: I'm gonna have to test out that barrel dynamo to see if it releases any angry pixies.

Foul weather is forecast over the next few days, but I found time to pound out a couple of dents, treat the pits, and apply a coat of primer to my bullet lamp. (Did you really need photos of that?)

With the cosmetics mostly done, I'll need to concentrate on the circuitry. I want to see if I can illuminate the original rear reflector, as well. Also, expect to hit up the local co-op in June for...items.

Latest posts

Back