Car paint or rattle cans?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to spray my new project. I would like to use rattle cans because of the cost. But I want it to look nice and professional. I'm thinking of using car paint buts it's just very expensive. How have u guys painted ur bikes? Any ideas on what kind of spray paint is best. I'm going for a satin vanilla. Thanks!

joshpasley13 said:
I'm looking to spray my new project. I would like to use rattle cans because of the cost. But I want it to look nice and professional. I'm thinking of using car paint buts it's just very expensive. How have u guys painted ur bikes? Any ideas on what kind of spray paint is best. I'm going for a satin vanilla. Thanks!
well I've seen some people do a pretty good job with rattle can. I know some of them can chime in on how they do it.If you go to automotive paint store sometimes the have small quarts of paint on sale.if you're not picky about the color they might have something cool at a cheap price.

I think most professional painters no matter what they paint, cars,motorcycles,houses, will tell you it is the prep work that makes or brakes the paint job.
Removing all rust (if your not into patina) bondoing deep marks and scratches, a coat of a self etching primer then a few coats of a high build primer wet sanding between coats will give you a very nice finish.
The more patience you have with the amount of time it takes to do it the better the final results.

There have been several lengthy threads on paint and process in the not too distant past. A search will bring you plenty of info, but if you arent up to speed on painting it has, like everything, a learning curve. I second the prep thing, and keeping fingerprints off your work, then make sure, no matter which paint you use, to get the right, compatible primer. Once sprayed, let it hang and dry about twice as long as you think it should. Do NOT touch, no matter how much it says,"touch me, touch me"!

Latest posts

Back