Chain Issue

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Have a 1967 Huffy Rail 5 spd I am restoring. The original derailleur was roached so I bought a replacement Sun Race (?) generic model that I was told would work. The problem is that the new derailleur's cogs are further apart than the original so the chain is now too short. Any suggestions as to where I can find some links or a piece of chain of the correct size ? Anyone know what the type/size of the original chain would have been ? I went to a local performance bicycle and they said that they do not have chain that old for a 5 speed. Thanks

Omg. Poor customer service. The chain you are looking for is available at walmart. You can buy the tool (chain break) there too, but i wouldnt do that. Id go to a diferent local bike shop, buy the chain, and a decent joint will put it on while you watch. Both options cost the same. Support local business. I cant imagine telling someone "I dont have a chain for your 5 speed." Jeesh.

A bike shop may tell you they dont' have any 5speed chain either. Generally any chain list for 6,7,8 speed will work.

If you have a local bike coop, they may have a small length of chain to splice in.

That bike uses common 1/2 X 3/32 chain. It may be packaged as appropriate for a ten-speed--a five-speed is a ten-speed, minus the front derailleur. As Clancy pointed out, it fits many combinations of cogs. It is the most common bike chain produced, by far. Nuthin' special.

Last edited:
If you're going for a smooth drive train and not necessarily period correct, a modern/bushingless chain like a SRAM will really slick up the drive train. They're not expensive, and are a pretty good value. As mentioned, it should be 1/2 pitch by 3/32 wide for derailleur.

Last edited:
Hello,
thanks for all the great advice/info. I went to a smaller bike shop with real enthusiasts that I have gone to before. They hooked me right up with a 6" section of chain. I should have known better than to go to a bigger "chain" bike store. Hopefully it will all fit well ... thanks again !

Latest posts

Back