CHEAPO SPRINGER THEORY

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Wondered if anyone else has run into weirdness with their cheapo springers. Mine gets this weird, gyroscope sensation when I ride the bike...sort of unstable feeling like things are not running straight down the road.

I've noticed that the spring isn't pointing exactly straight.

Overall it seems kind of quirky...not easy to adjust.

Maybe this is why they aren't on new bikes. :mrgreen:

The only problem I've had with the lowrider springers on Schwinn frames is the stack height aligning with the spring bolt tang thing. A visit with the lathe cured that. I'll post some pictures of the mod if people want. No problems with racking side to side though. A bit of preload on the spring helps keep everything more stable too.

The springer on my stretch limo is much better quality but I have no idea who made it. Beefier construction and nylon bushings make it a much more solid unit than the lowrider forks.

Without question the best springer I've dealt with is the 100th anniversary Phantom springer I was fortunate to aquire a while back. This thing is rock solid and beautifully built.

-Mp

I've owned a couple of those el cheapo lowrider style forks.....and I've never really had any problems at all with them. I added a bit of preload on the spring (as mentioned above) and the ride was fine.

Definately no problems with any side to side wobble or crap like that.

You might want to check the nuts to make sure they are tight on the side arms....perhaps they are a bit loose...or need some washers installed?

Back