Chinese leftovers

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this frame for nothing and decided to build a bike to ride around at the drag strip,as a pit bike to get goodies or any supplies.i call it Chinese leftovers cause,I'm pretty sure its a 80s or 90s Chinese frame and all the parts are leftovers from builds I've done or in the process of doing.the front wheel/ tire is frome the rollfast I just picked up,forks are from my schwinn spitfire.the back tire / wheel is from a yard sale and a donation from my neighbors son.i had these bars on my schwinn.the rear fender I got from the for sale section on this forum.it will need some work but I think it will look good.this is going to be a fun build,there won't be any groundbreaking stuff goin on or any ultra rare parts but it will be cool when I'm done.any how here's a quick mockup to see what I got.this frame is about 2 inches shorter than my rollfast frame.ill need a layback seat post to be comfortable.
Ji by slinginrods, on Flickr

Did a lil more today,worked on the rear fender to get it tightened up.i removed the original strut and stole one from the rollfasts rusty rear fender.it was longer so I could attach it to the hub,which looks cleaner to me than just bolting to the drop out .it also clears the 2.125 tire better than the original.i cleaned the rust and corrosion with ospho.here they are side by side.
T by slinginrods, on Flickr

Trying to get the placement right.fender strut is already removed in this pic.

Here it is all mounted up.i like how tight it is to the tire.no rubbing at all :D .i mounted the strut straight up like you'd see on a typical frisco style bobber.i also trimmed the tab off the front of the fender,but left it long so it would wrap around the tire.you have to let the air out of the tire to mount it or take it off. But that's the price you pay to look so ....... :p .

Stole this crank set and sprocket off the rollfast.cleaned it up with degreaser,steel wool and ospho.

Lastly for today,I snagged some little apes from my daughters fairlady to see how they felt/looked.what do you guys think? They are comfy..oh btw the forks look bent to me but I have seen other schwinns were they look this way too.maybe they were bent too :shock: .dont care ,I kinda like the way they go with the bobber feel this bike is getting.tomorrow night I'll weld up a seat post to get nice and low.

Made the seat post tonight.this is what I started with.old jack handle cut into 4 in pieces and a 90pipe connector .
R by slinginrods, on Flickr

Cleaned it up and welded it together.was having problems with my gas regulator sorry for the offensive welds.but it'll hold fine.im hooking up my tig welder this weekend.

And here it is on the bike,I don't like this seat ..I may steal the one off my schwinn,that'll give me an excuse to get that gyes or brooks I keep looking at. :wink:

Another view.didnt have much time tonight ,needed to help my daughter with home work.i also rearranged the garage to give me more room to work.more tomorrow.

R by slinginrods, on Flickr. I got everything all cleaned up and primed.just when I was ready to shoot some color on I decided to distress it a little instead.i think it suits the bike.i added a little blue pin striping that I distressed as well.the next couple of photos you can see it.

Back