Christmas present from the wife.. slight update.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I could not help myself from posting this. My wife bought me another bike for Christmas this year. It seems that even with them pretty much all over the place here, she doesn't mind and contributes! (She said there were worse things I could be doing, this was just fine)

Here is the new ride!!

Came from Chicago and is pretty cool I think. I've fixed a couple of small things since it got here - nothing to talk about.

Thanks to the wife!!!!
Merry Christmas to all!!!

Re: Christmas present from the wife..

man ,i'd like to see the box that thing was in ! lol :lol: very nice x-mas present ! your wife made a nice choice.......MERRY CHRISTMAS...

A.S.BOLTNUT said:
man ,i'd like to see the box that thing was in ! lol :lol: very nice x-mas present ! your wife made a nice choice.......MERRY CHRISTMAS...

Thanks..

It came in three boxes... and the bike box was the lightest at approx. 40 lbs. The one the basket and all the smaller stuff was in HAD to weigh 60 lbs. I drug it from the front door to the back yard, and I was done for a while when I got it there! Third box was misc parts that were more fragile - fenders and what not. SUPER job of packing done by the seller. Nothing even hinted at being damaged.

I love it!! (and her too!!!)

dude that is awsome nice truck what year?

Man, that is sweet. What's written on the the sign plate?

its even red! awesome!

necessaryevil said:
Man, that is sweet. What's written on the the sign plate?

It has the "Cycle-Truck" decal on it.... Looks cool to me!

karfer67 said:
dude that is awsome nice truck what year?

The guy I got it from said it was a '50, and at this point I haven't cleared the serial number of multiple layered paint in order to see enough of the entire number to verify the year for sure. I was hoping for a '49, but it really doesn't matter that much.

There's a rough '60 model that was bought for parts to use to build another older one that has been here for a while now. There are presently 5 complete ones (3 rideable, 1 in a box needing repainted, and anther on the stand in reconstruction) here, of which the '50 is one of the riders. There are three other frames in waiting, one of which will get the parts from the '60.
I'm thinkin' this may be a little "problem" in need of a 12 step program!

They are a lot of fun, and keep me away from things outside of home (my wife likes that idea!), but for now, I am going to finish what is here and what is coming and figure out who gets voted out of the shed. I don't have enough parts to build this many, the biggest piece of which is the baskets. No basket, no build... well, maybe one exception will be coming.

I think this makes the signature tag a valid point?

how much do you usually pay for a cycle truck? im looking to get an older one.

stretch said:
its even red! awesome!

That was the "Henry Ford" choice of colors from 1960 on through the end of catalogue appearances in 1967. Any color you like as long as it's red.

stretch said:
how much do you usually pay for a cycle truck? im looking to get an older one.

You have a PM...

Having a significant other who understands your love of the hobby, and how it keeps you out of other mischief, is like a Christmas present everyday! :mrgreen: -Adam

Rustinkerer said:
Having a significant other who understands your love of the hobby, and how it keeps you out of other mischief, is like a Christmas present everyday! :mrgreen: -Adam

Skipton said:
WOW! :shock: cool bike,GREAT WIFE! :mrgreen:

Yes she is great... and wonderful... and well, you get the picture. What I failed to mention is that over and above the CT, I got a pineapple upside down cake! YOWSA! (I had some divine intervention to get her!)

Thanks for the compliments on her just the same. She's a keeper!

I gotta wife like that. Ain't it great. Nice Christmas present though. But I think she may be hinting that you doing the grocery shopping from now on. Ha.

rgallen said:
I gotta wife like that. Ain't it great. Nice Christmas present though. But I think she may be hinting that you doing the grocery shopping from now on. Ha.

I didn't think about that... Good point. Winn-Dixie and Publix are both less than three blocks away. Uh-oh......

I better hurry up and get the rear hub regreased!

While I was off for the holidays, I spent a little time and rebuilt & painted a basket for the bike, and also put a regular 6 hole rack on it. A few other minor changes and we're good to go now for a while. It rides GREAT!

It's definitely a keeper. I also cleaned off the bottom bracket to read the serial number and validated it to be built 6/22/50.

I also have nearly completed the '65 with a large basket that I started on about 6 months ago. It is coming along nicely, and is another "Black Effect" bike
This is the before:

And After:

Vacation's over now... Back to work tomorrow!
Oh the fun...

Looking good!!! :D
So nice to know this bike has a lot of years ahead now, you've done a terrific job, congrats!

How much pineapple upside down cake do you suppose can fit in that basket? Merry Christmas to you, hope you bought her something as nice as that bike!

Gdcast said:
Looking good!!! :D
So nice to know this bike has a lot of years ahead now, you've done a terrific job, congrats!

The reconstruction of the 1950 bike was actually done in the Michigan/Indiana area, and the fellow my wife got it from was in Chicago. There were a few little things to fix, and it was pretty minor stuff at that. The biggest issues were the basket that came on it was repainted, but was not real straight. I spent a good bit of time fixing up another basket to use on it, and will fix the one that came with it when time allows.

The stuff that matters most seemed to be in pretty good shape, though I still need to go through the rear hub. The stand clip was backwards (OH....huge!) which took about 5 minutes to fix. It rides very well (even with the hub needing work!)

The extent of my work on it (again - the 50 model) was re-assembling it, and minor touch-ups, deciding to put a 6 hole rack on it, and the basket. I don't want credit for something I didn't do.

The '65 has been re-done from the ground up. A lot of little chrome pieces, had the crank & stem rechromed, the dropstand has been rebuilt on the bottom edges, and a new plate was made for it. I bought it a while back and was not going to do this to it, but had a change of mind for some reason. I am very pleased with the outcome, but still have to work out: (a) The basket board is not set up properly, will be making a new one that fits right. (b) I want the bars that were on it to be back on it - the will need to see a chrome tank before that can occur. (c) I have a set of pedals for it, the ones that are there now are for an older one. This is NOT a restoration, but a re-do. If it were restored it would be the flamboyant red that all standard production ones were from '60 on.

ej599 said:
How much pineapple upside down cake do you suppose can fit in that basket? Merry Christmas to you, hope you bought her something as nice as that bike!

Now that is an interesting thought.... I could probably get her to make enough to fill it, but then she'd expect me to eat it all.... I DON'T need that! I weigh to much now!!

Thanks for the comments, and I'll put some other ones up in the not too distant future.

Back