Chrome Molly

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the guys at the shop true the wheels and I put it together this evening. I liked the gold components so I added my seat with the gold springs. It's ready for a test ride but we have been getting monsoon rains for a week straight with no end in sight this week.

ready 28 Jul 21.jpg

true 2 28 Jul 21.jpg

Thanks, now that the constant rain has let up I thought I could get some daily riding in. Now we have VOG, volcanic gases mixed with smoke and haze, not healthy to stay outdoors. :mad:

I changed it up again. I like the SRAM 2 speed auto so that set of blue wheels was added. Also a 39 tooth chain wheel to take advantage of the 2 speeds. I liked the gold, but need the two speeds.

SRAM 12 Nov 21 blue SRAM.jpg

I went for a ride but the seat wouldn't tighten up. It's got a crack on the fitting where the bolt goes through. It looks like the weld broke.
13 Dec 21.jpg

Should I get it brazed or welded? I'm not sure about chromoly.
crack 13 dec 21.jpg

Can you grind those seat post bolt dongles off and use a blue anodized clamp instead?

Rat rod option - drill a hole in the seat tube and a hole in the seat post at the desired height (length). Secure with a bolt - like a fitness bench.
You could use two sets of holes - one longinally and one laterally which should eliminate any play.

Or extend the slot further down under the top tube and make a steel clamp out to wrap around the seat tube. This will allow you to remove the cracked seat post clamp alltogether.

The wedge idea isn't working out, all the wedges are too small in diameter.

To extend the slot downward might work, but it would have to go lower than the lug because there's not enough area on the lug for a collar.

I think the "drill a hole through it" idea is the best way to do it. One hole should do it because the post has no side to side play as it is. Maybe the hole should be through the lug so it can compress and not be that noticeable.
alloy bars.JPG

Done! Ready to hit the streets and trail. I drilled the hole just large enough for the bolt and tightened it enough so the lug is squeezing the post.
post fix2 14 dec 21.jpg
post fix 14 dec 21.jpg
black seat 14 dec 21.jpg

I thought I might need to add a couple holes in the post for different heights but on my ride today it was just where I need it. The lower gear on the automatic hub really works well on inclines.

ride 15 dec 21.jpg

Upgrade to make it my main rider as I plan to do a lot more riding. I used 57mm rims and SA 2 speed w coaster. The 2.125 tires fit nicely on those rims. The test ride in the neighborhood was good. A low and normal gear setup. I'm going for a good ride tomorrow morning.

02 Apr 22 b.jpg

02 Apr 22.jpg

Latest posts

Back