clean and wax paint

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
for the nuts and bolts, wire wheel on the bench grinder.
hold on to the part, and touch lightly or they will get away from you.
wear eye protection!

Try soaking them in white vinegar first. Here's the before/after of a kickstand I did using vinegar and a wire wheel.
IMG_1465.jpg

DSCF3340.jpg

Dang! I've got goofy shaped feet! :mrgreen:

Good luck!

Cheers,
Dr. T

That 'wood bleach' or 'deck brightener' is oxalic acid as the active ingredient.
Hey 'jerrykr', what kind of wire brush(s) are you using, we know they are not all created equal and I'd hate to see somebody just go out and buy something too harsh (way too easy to do).
I use several myself, from fine brass up to a coarse steel wire, and a key to use (for me, anyway) is to start 'soft' and move coarser as needed, letting the tips at speed do the work while hanging on TIGHT. Its easy to concentrate on the job the brush is doing and loosen your grip on the stock!
One of the best tips I ever got was to use a scraper (or, in this case, brush) that is a softer material than that you are working on, to avoid scratching.

gcrank1, I think you said it all - very well.

For rust removal (not on paint) hand scrubbing brushes, I like the small brass brushes that are about like a toothbrush.
They are .49 cents at Harbor Freight.

Latest posts

Back